Yes! Canoe roll instruction in the SE

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kimmieOC1
C Guru

Yes! Canoe roll instruction in the SE

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Just wanted to spread that word that Endless River Adventures at the Nantahala in NC has awesome canoe instruction! I spent the afternoon with Red (and Craig threw in a tip or two) and I'm am thrilled with the results. Red is awesome -knowledgeable, patient, and encouraging. He was able to quickly analyzing the things I was doing wrong and easily talk me through correcting my technique. He was also able to teach me to emphasize my specific strengths to make my roll effortless. Sure I've got to practice some to get that combat roll, but......I CAN ROLL!!!

Kimmie
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Yes! Canoe roll instruction in the SE

Post by pblanc »

Thanks for your post.

I have stopped by ERA several times and talked with Red who was very friendly, helpful and seemed quite knowledgeable. I wasn't paddling with him, per se, but paddled a Class II section of lower Snowbird Creek when Red and Juliet were also on the same stretch doing some private instruction. Red had a couple of sisters out in open boats, one of whom was 10 years old in a Zephyr. She seemed to be doing quite well.

Was Red paddling his Big Dog Force OC-1?
Neill.2
C Boater

Re: Yes! Canoe roll instruction in the SE

Post by Neill.2 »

We paddled with Red at Endless River Adventures last week, and my 10 year old showed a huge step forward in confidence and ability on the River the following week. He paddles the Esquif Taureau and this week on the Lower Green he was got caught in the hole at Surfers Rock. Before he paddled out with a huge grin on his face he had executed flawlessly in solid water two 360's with a High Brace, and Two Lower Braces. The kid was over in the water twice and pulled himself out. All the adults just sat with our mouths gapped open ready for a rescue that was never needed.

He had a PI with at NOC (Steve Foster) at the beginning of the summer laying the ground work in our tandem and ended the summer with his own boat w/ Red at ERA taking his paddling to new heights...now if there was help for his dad (but that is another story)

Ditto PI is alive and well in the Southeast.