DYI kevlar canoe resources/books and info?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Libraryhound
c

DYI kevlar canoe resources/books and info?

Post by Libraryhound »

I am ordering some how-to books on Kevlar canoes. I want to design and build a mold to make a few nicely finished canoes.
I have some ideas I want to try out. Any books that stand out as being a good resource? Looking for a mold making book and design ideas and alternative materials book/s.
Any suggestions are appreciated
Thanks
Libraryhound
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Re: DYI kevlar canoe resources/books and info?

Post by Mike W. »

Boatbuilder's Manual, Edited by Charles Walbridge. I have the 6th edition, not sure how many there were. It's out of print, but you can usually find it used.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Fiberglast.com has many construction resources:

http://www.fibreglast.com/category/Learning_Center" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob P
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

L'Hound...
Are you still happy with that explorer, inspired by it to make Kelvar boats, or looking to improve on it???

I have not enjoyed the BigDog..although I have not had a chance to paddle it in the water I want yet?

Peace,
neill
Libraryhound
c

Post by Libraryhound »

Thanks for the posts am ordering books tonight.

Neill I took my son Laith to Wolf Lake up in Cullowhee NC we paddled, picnicked and loved the canoe.
Have you had the BigDog in water yet? if it is not a good fit for you let me know. I will see what I can do.
I love making things and would love a light Kevlar ww Canoe and I have Ideas about new materials and designs for strength and durability. Now to see if i can make if work:)
Again Thanks
Libraryhound
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Charlie Walbridge's Boatbuilder's Manual is wonderful - Lots of great info from plug making, plug prep, mold making, mold prep and actual boat building.

You may also want to look at some of the wood strip canoe construction books and videos available - Great way to build a plug that you can paddle to see if the design is what you want before you go through the effort and expense of building a mold.

You can also look at some of the rapid prototyping materials - C-Flex, Bead and Cove foam strips - much easier to shape than wood strip, and once covered by a layer or 2 of glass will give you a solid prototype to test and tweak.
Neill.2
C Boater

Post by Neill.2 »

Daniel---Yikes....That "not" was NOT suppose to be in that post...I have absolutely enjoyed the Big Dog...although I have not been able to push it to its limits (and mine yet) that boat on the water seems near perfection...I mean that! Neill