Octane 85?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

skrag
c

Octane 85?

Post by skrag »

What's the story on the Octane 85? I know it's more of a planing design than the Option, but with so many seemingly happy Option paddlers, what's the point? Primarily for bigger paddlers like the Octane91 has been?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Octane 85?

Post by Wendy »

I had an Ion and absolutely loved it. It makes you want to play, boof, splat everything. It creeks, 360s, and does great in SE big water, even with a 200 pound paddler. What it could not do well was get up to speed and carry much momentum. The Octane 85 is a cross between the Ion and Octane 91. The flat, planing hull is a very different feel than the Option. I strongly prefer the planing hull to the Option. Option lovers prefer the displacement hull. Isn't it great to have all these choices in plastic? I love my L'Edge lite and look forward to having the new OCtane 85. Here in the SE we still have creeks and high water in August this year to try her out.
Last edited by Wendy on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VTBoater
Pain Boater

Post by VTBoater »

Ditto what Wendy said: not everyone wants a displacement hull. I love my Ion: among (many) other things, I like having edges to engage. It does make you work to cover distance, though.

I saw an Octane 85 the other day, and it seems built for a much smaller paddler than the Ion would accommodate. I don't know if this is so--it's just my impression. I'm not sure I would fit in it, but innovative boats for smaller paddlers; that can only be a good thing!
JFC
C Boater

Post by JFC »

I haven't seen an Octane 85 yet, but my Octane 91 has a lot more primary stability than I need. I also think that I could use the edges a little more if it was a narrower boat, and I'm pretty big.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Octane 85, huh? Would like to know the dimensions of this new design and see some photos. I didn't see anything about it on the Blackfly site.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Jeremy told us it is 5 inches shorter than the OCtane 91 and 3 inches narrower. Fri I can measure mine and let you know. :) I am short but fat. The width is suppose to be the same as the Ion, so it should float heavier people. The Ion even handled Trey who is very tall.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Prototype was made by cutting down a n octane 91 width and length. I've seen one since that seams lighter than what the 91 was, so as much as I liked paddling it is be concerned being a big guy to take it creaking and abusing it. Jeremy originally told me he was making something the women might like a little better than the ion an 91, think smaller octane91, faster ion. But seamed about as light as the ion.
Proud Yankee
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Jeremy's goal was to keep it about the weight of the Ion, which is very durable. I believe he emailed that the finished product was 48 pounds with saddle minus bags. I will take pics Fri and post.
skrag
c

Post by skrag »

So, painting with a broad brush and leaving out the tandem and playboats: The Option is more the displacement style serious creeker for the average size paddler, the Octane91 is for the larger driver and those wanting serious stability, and the Octane85 is more a downriver style aimed at the smaller paddler and Ocoee-types? General, I know, but fair enough?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Your assessment is what Jeremy had posted on a FB post. I creeked alot in my Ion. At my weight it does catch rocks on lower water runs with the sharp edges. I will still try the 85 on different types of runs. Of course, I also have my L'Edge lite that is great on low to big water.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Post by Einar »

H*ll of quiver of boats Wendy!
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I will have 2 boats now. I only had one for months. Since I let a lot of people try my boats I need at least two. :wink:
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I picked up my new Octane 85 today, along with a 5 inch spider that apparently was in the boat. I felt something crawling on my leg at the put in, but thought- naw. At the take out while standing in the water to cool the knees down a 5 inch spider crawled out from under my pfd across my left shoulder, hopped into the water and swam to shore. My male friend said if it had been him he would have screamed like a girl. I stood there quietly watching it swim away. Jeremy NH spiders are bigger than ours.

Anyway, the Octane 85 is light like the Ion, narrow so women, children and shorter men will love the ability to do cross strokes and get the paddle vertical. Excellent speed and secondary stability. At my weight the primary was a little less than the Ion, a lot less than the Octane 91, but very good. Also less primary stability than the L'Edge. She is a joy to paddle and her boat name is Spider.

The new outfitting by Jeremy is excellent. For children and short, small legged people you could hop right into the boat. The rest of us will need our carving knife, Dragonskin. It took me maybe 30 minutes to carve the foam just right. Anyone in the Se who needs helps carving their outfitting I love to do this and will help.
skrag
c

Post by skrag »

Right on. Congrats on the new boat and thanks for all your help answering my question. Post some pics of it for us when you get the chance. I'd especially like to see it in comparison to your L'edge since that's a boat I have at least some experience with.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Will post pics tomorrow. One other fact. The boat is very, very dry. I was only on class II! but surfed played and ferried in hard current. I never dumped and have no pump (yet). I had 1 inch of water at the take out after paddling all day