adjustable toe blocks from Northwater

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

rainfoot
Pain Boater

adjustable toe blocks from Northwater

Post by rainfoot »

http://northwater.com/html/products/can ... locks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I saw these in a Dagger Ocoee on the Noli last weekend. Seemed rather handy. My feet are terribly uncomfortable when applied to the Yakima pegs and it looks like this would allow my feet to remain flat to the floor while still keeping me in tight.

Has anyone had experience with these?
Will they adhere to a PE boat? [if so, how?]
Is there increased risk of entrapment?
OC1 spoken here.
bruce
C Boater

Re: adjustable toe blocks from Northwater

Post by bruce »

I have been using a similar type from Dagger for more then 20 years in 3 different boats, both ABS and Kevlar composite. Very comfortable especially with ankle blocks. I've always used Stabond
& even under constant stress while paddling they have never loosened.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Adhering to PE while surviving tension stresses has always been a challenge - but this would be mainly in shear, so, maybe contact cement (especially with the large area involved) would work? Might try Goop, too - following the contact cement instructions (on package) - i've had that adhere well to PE (making nose cone type reinforcement).
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I've been using Northwater's adjustable toe blocks for years in my Viper (OC1).

I like them much more so than the Yakima pegs.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

I have used them and still have them in a downriver canoe that I do not paddle in significant whitewater. To tell you the truth, I don't like them too much nor did I like the similar adjustable foot braces sold by Dagger years ago.

The reason I don't like them is I like to keep my straps pretty tight at times, but I don't care to have to manually release them to exit if necessary. With the Yakima pegs, I can simply slide my feet sideways off the pegs so that I can slide my thighs back out of the knee and thigh straps. With you foot pointed backwards into the cups of these it is pretty much fixed in position so that you can't do that.

I find that if the rails on the Yakima pegs are mounted high enough, I can still keep my feet flat and slide my toes underneath the bottom of the foot pads.
sdbrassfield
Supporting Paddler

Post by sdbrassfield »

I have them in two of my boats and they work well. Better than the boats I have w yakima pegs. You can keep the northwaters in a more upright position, or keep your feet flat, take your pick...And the cup design keep you anchored to the boat better than the yakima pegs.
SYOTR
c1swim
CBoats Addict

Post by c1swim »

Got to disagree with that bold statement.
dance for rain
Einar
CBoats Addict

Like them both.

Post by Einar »

I use both types.
North water provides me with a great "locked in" tension although after a 4 hour day trip that can get a little harsh on the toes. I keep clippers in the truck. N. W.'s tend to wear out the sides of river boots, just the cost of business. I have never had them fail, the vinyl bond separating from the hull although they are under a lot of shearing pressure.

I always carry a spare pair of bolts and wing nuts for N.Ws, set them into a spare open hole, as bolts can come loose and disappear. Of course, I always check them for tightness before getting on the river?
As an alternative I carry a couple of zap straps on the boat, half started around a d ring somewhere. That'll double up as a fastener. I like the North water product, everything has some working compromises.

I have started using Yakima adjustable pegs for longer day paddles, like tripping for 6+ hours where there will be flat and then 3+.
I like the idea that they can be adjusted to vary the distance, tighter for ww and looser for slack water making it easier to slide in and out of for relief.
I don't find them a problem for rolling.

I don't put my feet under them and I wear river boots with soft flexible soles in every boat.
In an earlier time wet exit I torqued a harder soled boot side ways and it jammed for a moment between the toe block, the seat and boat, somehow. Didn't like that, so I use flexible soles. I know, work on the roll.

Basically both types work well for me, the hassle is a day of paddling ww gives me charley horses, especially in boat with pump, so I have to remember to get out and flex to let off the tension from being locked in between the toe straps and the thigh straps.
Swimming helps too.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

With Northwater's adjustable toe blocks I use they in a more upright position. I find them very comfortable. On the flats I can pop my toes out.

With Yakima adjustable pegs, I find the pegs too small and therefore not as comfortable as the Northwater setup. Sometimes my toes slide under the Yakima pegs. I really dislike it when that happens. Also, I don't find the Yakima pegs as comfortable when I slide my feet off the pegs on the flats. Again, I prefer the Northwater toe blocks.

Good suggestion about checking the bolt tightness and packing zip ties.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;