Weldwood/saddle mount/questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

RobertM
Pain Boater

Weldwood/saddle mount/questions

Post by RobertM »

I recently picked up a Redline with a Dagger saddle.

The saddle is in the boat, captured by the foam longitudinals, but not fixed down in any way. I've palyedwith moving it forward and back, I have it where I want it for and aft. I was intending to use Weldwood and the wax paper trick I had seen mentioned in a previous thread, but now I have a question.

The boat was sitting in the sun cosckpit down the other day, and when I flipped it over the knee area padding had de-bonded from the saddle. I don't know what the history of the saddle before I picked it up was, the pads look like a DIY job, I don't know what the goo of choice was. My concern was that, if it was contact cement, and some solar gain was enough to make it de-bond, perhaps I should be looking at something else to install the saddle with.

So, has anybody had an experience with Weldwood de-bonding at the sort of temps a hull gets to sitting out on a hot day? If not, I'm going to assuming that the kn ee foam was put in with something like rubber cement and proceed with the Weldwood ( I rarley use it, but when I do I use the red can). If the thermal de-bonding is a known issue I'm probably going to run with 5200.

Thanks
Robert

"One Fish, Two Fish
Red Fish, Blue Fish"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Weldwood/saddle mount/questions

Post by sbroam »

It might not have been glued in well in the first place (i.e. didn't let the two sides dry) or it might have just been really old. If being heated upside down (in humid weather) was enough to routinely loosen outfitting, I wouldn't have a boat that was intact... As it is, its rare for mine to come loose.

I say give it a good scuffing and apply the weldwood - two coats if you are conservative, though one works just fine for my impatient self :-P