Flotation Question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kimmieOC1
C Guru

Flotation Question

Post by kimmieOC1 »

Anyone know where I can buy red canoe flotation - 56"? In U.S. or Europe?
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Flotation Question

Post by Wendy »

Richard messaged me a few weeks ago that he had them in stock at MOhawk
ScenicPaddler
c

Post by ScenicPaddler »

ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Just be aware that limiting color to red may mean that you're passing up bags of known durability. Harmony Nylon/urethane bags are still available, but only in yellow.

I put some bargain red bags in my Millbrook, and they proved unable to stand up to buffeting during highway travel.

Make sure the inflation tubes on your bags are accessible while the boat is on your vehicle. That way you can get your mouth on the tubes to keep the bags snug, not flopping, but not TOO snug.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

I have had trouble with my Harmony bags from the short valve stem and sensitivity to weather, vs my Mohawk bags Have done very well
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Wendy, the "sensitivity to weather" may be due to the lighter fabric in Harmony bags. The heavier fabric in other bags does not respond as obviously to changes in barometric pressure and temperature.

In my experience with valve stems, it has been a matter of the *location* of valve stems, not their length. I like the valve stem over to one side where I can get my mouth on it when the boat is on my car, for adjustments.
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

I have several old Mohawk bags. They all look so old and worn out that you'd swear they wouldn't hold air but they all do. I carry a Coleman rechargeable air pump to put air in bags while on the vehicle cause it's often next to impossible to get your mouth to the tube.
Parrot Head Paddler
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

The "sensitivity to weather" doesn't have anything to do with how thick or thin the fabric is. If the coating is good and well adjusted to the fabric's properties, which is the case with the only pair of Voyageur (now harmony) Airbags I know of, they will withstand the same amount of pressure from heating or altitude that a thicker fabric does, maybe they are less puncture-resistant, but that's about it. The weak spot are the seams, which withstand more in PU IMHO. Try to find a PVC-coated thermarest-style sleeping pad.. go figure.

Nylon (Polyesther) & Polyurethane is about the best there is, lasting you the longest and currently the lightest stuff available. That said, the only source for red airbags I know of is Mohawk, which has a great value product (mind you Voyageur / Harmony bags are more pricey). In another light, I also like to think Mohawk existing is of more importance to the open canoe world than whatever Harmony is doing, so here you go. BUT maybe Mohawk will switch over to the - more costly in the raw, that is for sure - best technology out there for bag fabrics in the future, too. Probably after figuring out the last step into the future they already made in the first place :D

I'd so like a light airbag.. like made out of the material of the Thermarest Neo Air, and maybe a sturdy one as well.. to choose from. Hmmmmmmm...
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

To detailify that a bit about PU.. PVC needs plasticizers to make it pliable, that seep out of the plastic which over time reduces their flexibility, which leads to delamination, especially the well-know "crease spot" delamination in canoe bags.
PU is more flexible, more abrasion resistant and resistant to heat and cold, doesn't get stiff when cold so winter paddlers will have less of a problem keeping their bags alive (they are more susceptible to damage in the cold when stiff).

PU also contains no chloride in the manufacturing, obviously making it the more eco-friendly material (although it DOES make use of other harmful substances during production, which has to follow certain standards to really be more friendly.. but in effect that's entirely the same for the cholride/PVC industry.. so what.)