Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Elvin
c

Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Post by Elvin »

Unique opportunity for a skilled fiberglass canoe builder who wants an all-expense-paid international trip to teach others his (or her) skills. A non-governmental organization is willing to pay air fare, provide accommodation, living expenses, and a small stipend for one month for a person to teach 10 persons in the new country of South Sudan how to construct all-fiberglass canoes for local fishermen. Very interesting and rugged living conditions. Mold will need to be made on site – perhaps from an existing canoe (photo available) that serves the fishermen well. All materials will be provided. If interested in learning more, contact Elvin Hilyer via email at elvin3865@gmail.com or cell phone 706 429 6011. Elvin

Added 9/20: Hey folks. If you have the skills to make a mold and build an all-fiberglass canoe, or know someone who does, this is a chance to see a part of the world few persons have seen, experience life in a remote area of Africa as few have, and make a serious contribution to the ongoing livelihood of native persons - with all expenses paid. Would take a confidant spirit of being able to live for about a month in an environment and under conditions very different from the mainstream to which we are accustomed. I am monitoring this daily, so you can post interest and any questions here, or contact me as stated above. See further info below. Elvin
Last edited by Elvin on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Re: Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Post by kaz »

Sudan? Is this for real?
JKaz......
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

No idea... The person posting is real and not a spambot. Beyond that at this point only Elvin knows!
Keep the C!
Adam
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Yes, this is for real. South Sudan became a separate country from Sudan in July 2011. It is, to put it mildly, a developing country. A friend, Patrick, has been a fisheries consultant for several months during the last two years with the objective to help local fishermen move from subsistence (catch 5, eat 5) to "commercial" (catch a bunch, eat some, sell some). Dugout canoes are used (although very few trees in this area), except for a few fiberglass canoes Patrick had brought in from Kenya. The all-fiberglass (body, gunwales, seats) canoes have worked beautifully, but there are obstacles to further importation. Conclusion: Teach the locals how to make their own canoes so they can continue making them over the years. No wood, but fiberglass materials are available from Uganda and Kenya, and a non-governmental organization is willing to support. Check a map of South Sudan for Jonglei State (main "city" is Bor) - a unique opportunity to experience remote, very undeveloped Africa, and intensely interesting cultures. If interested, I can provide photos of the canoes that are working (and perhaps could be used for building a mold), and I can put you in touch with Patrick for further information. My wife and I worked in Sudan for 5+ years. Elvin
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Sounds like a great opportunity. If I knew how to build fiberglass canoes, I'd be all over this. Someone who knows what they are doing should really jump on this...what an incredible opportunity!
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

It is interesting. I'm thinking the risk of death is high for a white boy in a newly formed country in one of the most unstable places in the world. Just my opinion though, I could be wrong.
JKaz......
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Thanks, Matt. I hope some skilled person will jump on it - an incredible opportunity for contribution.

In terms of risk, my wife and I traveled in these areas for over five years during a much more unstable time.
Our fisheries consultant, Patrick - very white, blond hair, blue eyes - just spent several months in the area.
The local cultures have some tension among themselves, but not with persons there to assist in various ways.
Can't rule out risk, but we generally felt welcomed and appreciated. An interested person could talk with Patrick
about the circumstances (admittedly very different). Elvin
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

Hi,

You mention having a pic of the canoe you want built...posting the pic might help.

Also, how about a link to the NGO funding this.

Roy
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Cboats was emailed in advance if it would be okay to post this. And we thought it would add some value - get folks to think and maybe get some expertise to folks that can really use it.

On a side note: Elvin - have you thought about sending someone over to the USofA for a period to learn hands on. A teach the teacher experience? Maybe Kaz or another would be interested in creating a training program? You might get your objective met quicker following that process. Plus get the future teacher more exposure to state of the art tech. Just building one type of boat is fine but building the knowledge to build new generations of boats to meet specific user needs... well its a thought.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

yah like they would go back home... :-?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

HH - I personally know a number of folks from several different developing countries that came to the US, worked very hard, learned all they could at every opportunity, and then went back home to make life better for their family, friends, and country. Not everyone out there is in the "what's in it for me personally" camp.

It sounds like a great opportunity one way or the other for someone with a sense of adventure and the skills to match the job (whether teaching here or overseas). I wonder if anything could be set up through the Peace Corps, which from what friends of mine have experienced in general has it's act together regarding work overseas.
Keep the C!
Adam
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Elvin, I truly hope you find someone who is excited to do this. If I knew how, you'd have your man.

Don't knock visiting a "majority world" country, folks. I'm gearing up for a month-long trip to Nepal...my 3rd one. Seeing how the majority of the rest of the world lives is eye opening, and it is truly wonderful to visit the other side of the world and connect with the people and cultures there.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

I agree with Todhunter. It would be a life-changing experience. If only I didn't have commitments at home...
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Several replies:

1. Paul: Thanks for the idea of bringing someone here. I talked with Patrick Murphy, the fisheries consultant, regarding the possibility. He will explore whether this is an option with the international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) with which he is dealing locally (in South Sudan).

I suggested to Patrick that he register so he can begin responding to comments and to anyone who is interested. He is the primary actor here and the one in touch with those on the ground in South Sudan.

2. Adam: Thanks for an excellent response to Hazardous Harry. Coming to this country and staying sometimes is an issue, but not in this case. Also thanks for the Peace Corps thought. Patrick will need to mull over that. Clearly they have their act together.

3. Roy: Will post a photo of the canoe when I figure out how to do so. Link to NGOs is Patrick Murphy who hopefully will be online soon to respond directly.

TRIED TO POST PHOTOS, BUT "TOO BIG" - HOPEFULLY PATRICK WILL BE ABLE TO POST WHEN HE IS APPROVED BY THE MODERATORS.

4. Blackfly: If you know of someone with the requisite skills and who might be interested, please let them know about this for consideration.

5. Matt and Rodeo Clown: Thanks for supporting this opportunity for helping in a previously forgotten area of the world.

Patrick will be online upon approval of the moderators. He will appreciate expressions of interest and other input and will be able to respond directly.

Elvin
pat murphy

fiberglass canoes

Post by pat murphy »

Pat murphy here. Thanks Elvin for getting this conversation started.
background: I've spent 11 months in the field since October, 2011. The Sobat River Corridor in Jonglie State, South Sudan is rich in fresh water fish species. The White Nile, Sudd and Sobat River (all river systems within the Project) are considered to contain the most underutilized fisheries in the world.
These guys know how to catch fish; an environmental study has just been completed that underscores the availability of commercially viable fisheries; trees best left along the stream-banks are currently used for dugouts; dugouts are unstable and last for 4 years. Why continue to degrade the environment by cutting the trees when fiberglass canoes (that I've been using for the past two seasons - several have been in the Sobat since 1992)can be constructed in the area. IF we can find a fiberglass canoe instructor.
Pat