Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Barskekarsten
Pain Boater

Re: Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Post by Barskekarsten »

I really regret that I never have built myself a fiberglass boat from a mold and feel that I have the experience to help.

I have my master’s degree in winded composites and have a good experience with winding fiberglass/epoxy and some experience making flat vacuum infused laminates but not with the complete process of making a mold and making boats out of it.

I often envy my uncle who is a doctor/orthopedist. He travels with the Red Cross and makes a real difference to people. As an engineer, I never get to use my education to make such direct difference for others. This is one of the rare chances a composite engineer gets to really make a difference.

I am more than willing to go to South Sudan, no problem with that, I only have good memories from Africa.
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Patrick is picking up on this stream, but I will chime in to say thanks for stating an excellent perspective on this effort. It is truly an opportunity for contribution in addition to an exotic cultural experience. Patrick will obviously need to evaluate all expressions of interest and determine if skills fit what he knows will meet the needs of the situation in Jonglei State. Elvin
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

I would still like to see a pic of the boat. What folks in some countries call "canoe," we might call something else.

Roy
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Roy (and others): Tried once again to post photo (JPEG) of canoes - got reply that photo is "invalid." If anyone has instructions for how I can post a download from an email, would appreciate receiving them. Thanks. (Patrick is out of pocket right now; perhaps he will have more success in posting a photo when he is back on line.) Elvin
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I think the process has changed since it was posted.

Save the photo to your computer.

Click "Reply"

Click "Browse". This is located under the blue line which reads "Upload attachment"

Find the photo & click "preview". This will show you what your post will look like. If it's what you wanted, click "Submit".
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Thanks, Mike. Have tried to post as JPG - response: "invalid." As word document - response: "docx extension not allowed." As PDF document - response: "PDF extension not allowed." Have tried to copy and paste, but doesn't paste. Any idea of what I am doing wrong?

Roy and others who want to see picture, please send your email address to me at elvin3865@gmail.com, and I will email photo to you. Elvin
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

e-mail it to mike@cboats.net & I"ll see what I can do.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Photo of the canoes:

Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

Hey,

That's great. I guess those are what we would all call "traditional Canadian-style canoes."

I tell you what Elvin, molding and building such boats is really straight forward. If you can't find some builder willing to come to you, it would be easy to send someone here to learn the process. I would think tacking down a builder to teach here would be super easy.

On the other hand, building durable and somewhat heavy open canoes can easily be learned without any hands-on instruction. I built my first canoe mold and boat without the benefit of any instruction, ability, skill, talent, or smarts. What I DID have was Charlie Walbridge's book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 1381158109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Read the book.
2. Ask a dozen questions here.
3. Build mold and first canoe.
4. Realize the canoe is somewhat uglier and heavier than you'd like; but, happily use the canoe.
5. GO TO STEP #1
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Thanks for that advice, Roy. I will make certain that Patrick gets it. Elvin
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

A great big THANKS to all who responded in this posting venue and via direct e-mail. Looks like Patrick has the issue resolved for now. If that changes, this topic will be re-opened. Elvin
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

i bet they pole the canoes?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Certainly at times, especially when river is clogged with vegetation. However, paddle when can. Elvin
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Please keep us posted as to how the program progresses.... Photos would be nice! :-) Best of luck with the project and really hope the builders and locals develop a process that can be handed off to others! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Thanks, Paul. Patrick should be back in South Sudan some time during the next year and can get some photos. Elvin