Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

TommyC1
C Guru

Re: Unique opportunity for fiberglass constructor

Post by TommyC1 »

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... sudan?lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Yes, a coup, or attempted coup is a big deal - but primarily for those involved. Strange though it may seem, this kind of turmoil can go on and not really affect the work of expatriates. I see that the president has set a curfew. My wife and I lived with a curfew in Ghana for two years because a dispute led to the beheading of a chief and his wives and other family members. No affect on us except we had to honor the curfew. I also see that some expatriates are evacuating. This is generally mandated by the head office of a non-governmental organization or government out of concern for the in-country persons who may not evacuate if given the choice. My wife and I did not leave Khartoum (as almost all expatriates did) when the U.S. bombed Al Shifa Factory in Khartoum. We continued work as usual with anti-U.S. demonstrations nearby and a huge "Down Clinton" banner hanging on our office building. Hopefully the situation in South Sudan will be resolved quickly and the government and organizations there to help build a country will be able to pay attention to important things, like constructing canoes to facilitate progress in developing a commercial fishing industry. Elvin
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Hhellllllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Hello.
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

OK, it seems the vast majority of folks on Cboats are either:

1. Too chicken to go to South Sudan, or
2. Don't know how to mold boats.

Anyway, Pat, have you looked for someone closer to home? I have to think people in Africa will be less skittish about traveling to South Sudan. There must be plenty of people with fiberglass skills in many African countries. Here, maybe, is a lead in South Africa:

http://www.collinsfibreglass.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On another note. For those Cboaters who want to travel to South Sudan, but don't know how to build boats...why not just learn, and then go? What we are talking about here is NOT building world-class, race-weight, carbon, vacuum-bagged, epoxy slalom boats. Read the Walbridge book, ask some questions, find someone in your region to coach you, mold something, build a boat, done.

On a third note. Remember, Pat, having one of your South Sudan dudes come here to learn might be a lot easier to arrange.

Or, Skype.

Roy
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Ex-pats have a different perspective when in underdeveloped locations. Ya tend to see stuff that is perfectly normal there that isn't here and versa visa. Not all is good not all is bad.
Not sure I'd be heading to some locatoins in Detroit, Chicago, London, Parris, etc. You get the pix! Developed and under-developed both have "it" going on. Ya just have to pay attention and know the players.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Roy and Paul: Thanks for the positive input and perspective.

Responding for Pat who may not be online. For now he has a resolution that hopefully will work out. The company in Kenya that built the original canoes has done an about face and agreed to assist South Sudan. This could obviously fall apart, and if it does the appeal will be re-opened. However, if necessary, Pat will check out other options such as the South Africa contact provided by you, Roy.

Thanks. This has been a very useful forum for identifying interested persons and options; and the positive input by the moderators has been supportive of the effort to help a part of the world that has needs that are difficult to imagine.

Elvin
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Jump right in, Roy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/22/world ... itics&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JKaz......
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

hmm a new market for kaz? bullet proof kevlar canoes? :o
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

hazardharry wrote:hmm a new market for kaz? bullet proof kevlar canoes? :o
Just switching from structural Kevlar to ballistic Kevlar will do it. :roll:
Bob P
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Yep.... looks like the local leaders are making a mess of peoples lives.

Sux that that area cant get a break. Killing peace keepers and shooting at evac craft is not a good sign! :-(

Hope the peacing troops, the ex-pats and the local non-combats all make it out okay and the Marines don't need to go in.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Elvin
c

Post by Elvin »

Completely agree, Paul. During our 5+ years in Sudan, each time there was a peace agreement between government and the rebels the previously united tribes started fighting each other. Riek Machar was the second in command to John Garang (now deceased) for the rebels and came to Khartoum as VP during one of the peace agreements. He came to our meetings and occasionally to our office, and we had lots of discussion with him. He got disenchanted and went back to the rebel side. Then South Sudan became a separate country in 2011, and he became VP of the new country. Disenchantments generally come for good reason. Machar was "fired" by President Salva Kir last year, and apparently Salva Kir, a Dinka, was not serving the Nuers (Machar's tribe) and other tribes satisfactorily. All will settle down, but this cycle could well continue a few decades. No surprise that planes were shot if they flew within gun range. When we went to these areas we flew in the belly of Russian cargo planes - flew high out of range and spiraled down to the small government held areas. Sudan Airways and UNICEF craft had been shot down and quit flying. We worked in the rebel held areas also but accessed from our office in Kenya. We have a long way to go to be a completely civilized species, not just in Africa, but here in our beloved country also. This will sound strange, but it is true - my wife could go out alone at any time of the day or night in Khartoum with no fear approaching a group standing on any corner of this spread out city (excluding the limited-access displaced persons camps in the periphery that included a huge variety of tribes). Hopefully the situation in South Sudan will settle down quickly and the government and assistance organizations can get back to the development of a country more satisfactory for normal living (and for developing a more than daily subsistence fishing industry in the remote areas). Elvin
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

For you youngsters... This dates back almost to the '50s...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8-BI89mb9A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob P