Whitewater Rating System - Is It OK As Is?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Re: Whitewater Rating System - Is It OK As Is?

Post by ohioboater »

And then don't forget the open boating version of the international scale of difficulty:

Class I, Easy. Fast moving water with riffles and small waves. Swimming is pleasant, shore easily reached. A nice break from paddling. Almost all gear and equipment is recovered. Boat is slightly scratched.

Class II, Novice. Straightforward rapids with wide, clear channels which are evident without scouting. Swimming to eddies requires moderate effort. Climbing out of river may involve slippery rocks and shrub-induced lacerations. Paddle travels great distance downstream requiring lengthy walk. Something unimportant is missing. Boat hits submerged rock leaving visible dent or new gash in plastic.

Class III, Intermediate. Rapids with moderate, irregular waves which may be difficult to avoid. Water is swallowed. Legs are ground repeatedly against sharp, pointy rocks. Several eddies are missed while swimming. Difficult decision to stay with boat results in moment of terror when swimmer realizes they are downstream of boat. Paddle is recirculated in small hole way upstream. All personal possessions are removed from boat and floated in different directions. Paddling partners run along river bank shouting helpful instructions. Boat is munched against large boulder hard enough to leave series of deep gouges. Sunglasses fall off.

Class IV, Advanced. Intense, powerful but predictable rapids requiring precise swimming in turbulent water. Swimming may require `must' moves above dangerous hazards. Must moves are downgraded to `strongly recommended' after they are missed. Sensation of disbelief experienced while about to swim large drops. Frantic swimming towards shore is alternated with frantic swimming away from shore to avoid strainers. Rocks are clung to with death grip. Paddle is completely forgotten. One shoe is removed. Hydraulic pressure permanently removes waterproof box with all the really important stuff. Paddle partners running along stream look genuinely concerned while lofting throw ropes 20 feet behind swimmer. Boat is finally pinned by major feature. Climbing up river bank involves inverted tree. One of those spring loaded pins that attaches watch to wristband is missing. Contact lenses are moved to rear of eyeballs.

Class V, Expert. Swimming not recommended.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

Awesome....just....awesome.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

ohio boater has it perfect. sun glasses fall off. inverted tree. :D
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

I think it could be better. I like the Addison scale that TGG posted

I personally look at the current scale of I-VI in terms of how badly I will get messed up if I botch my line. I then make my decision on how confident I am that I will hit the line.
I - Comfortable swimming in. Very low chance of getting hurt.
II - Comfortable swimming in. Might get a scratch or bruise.
III - A swim wouldn't ruin my day. Might suck though. Potential 'must-make' move, but I could make this move in a floaty toy.
IV - A swim would definitely be a day ruiner. Moderate chance of good bruises or cuts. Potential 'must-make' move. Game face on.
V - not for me (yet)
VI - not for me.

*When I rate a river I go off of the hardest unportagable rapid, or the level you should be able to paddle at so you don't walk too much and have a crappy time.

The problem with rating rapids is that rivers are dynamic and change. It would be great to adopt a system similar to rock climbing where everything has a set difficulty, but it is impossible. For example, my local run is regularly all II with one pushing III. In high water it is pretty much continuous IV. I don't think it would be right to call it a II or IV.

Another issue for us is the swamp factor. Lets say there is a drop with a wave train before the lip. What might be an easy move for a kayaker could potentially be a difficult move for a swamped open boat. I have definitely seen some rapids where I think 'man that would be a great line if it wasn't for that _____ that I need to punch'.

I think that because of reasons like this, we can keep the I-VI scale. Just use it as a guideline, make your own decision when you get there.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully they make some sense.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thomsonbytheriver
Pain Boater

Post by thomsonbytheriver »

I'm a fan of the International Rating Sytem because it is simple, adaptable and easy to explain. Adding to it or changing it will simply confuse people. At the end of the day it comes down to the viscosity of your spit.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Ohioboater did a good job of making the point that swimming a rapid will add some information about how hard that river is. When you make all your practiced lines a river can seem easier than it really is. Swim that river once in a while and you will snap back to reality :o .
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

My last point is: You shouldn't judge the difficulty of a river after your 20th smooth run. The boater will tend to make a more accurate assessment after a second or third run. Any agreement on this point?
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Bruce, when you say rivers are being downgraded.. is that happening in actual guidebooks?
Sure, paddlers notoriously downgrade runs once they have the lines dialed.. and to make themselves appear to be super awsome.. But unless I know that cat well, Joe Hero the blogger's rating doesn't really mean much to me. Hopefully anyone doing a legit guidebook is mature enough to refrain from downgrading.
The ratings that I have looked at in Holbeck/Stanleys book seem fine. Daniels online guide seems ok (though he tends to give way too much info) I have no experience with other locations or books..

I don't know if that downgrading is happening in class II-III, but I do feel that if one is paddling class IV and up, they should have enough skill and judjement to take take care of themself.

For me, less is more. What I love about the Holbeck/Stanley book is they just give me a very basic idea of what to expect and let me figure it out from there.
Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I don't know that there's much "downgrading" going on with class II-III, but my problem there is the huge range within each class. Of what gets called class II, the easiest is almost nothing at all, and the hardest can generate swims for decent paddlers. And for class III, it becomes relevant whether it's pool-and-drop or continuous etc. That's where stuff like II+ and III(IV) have already been good innovations for the system.

But I agree that it will always be a subjective, imperfect system, and people need to take it with a grain of salt and learn to consider their sources. It's good enough for me, especially considering it would require a major effort to have changes accepted, for little difference - it would still be about as impefect. That's just the way rivers & paddlers are.

Pat.
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

On the AW data base individual "stream keepers" have downgraded streams solely under there own authority. I don't think there is a problem with the rating system, we just need to follow its criteria.
Rand
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

The hardest guiding I've ever done was on a continous grade II, with competent paddlers, and blind 90° corners every couple hundred meters... .
Paddling continuous class III; III+ felt a lot more intensive and harder to me then a II/III river with a couple longer IV rapids but in a drop-and-pool character.
There are so many factors involved: nature of the river, water levels, prior paddling, feeling of the day, group you're paddling with, ... .
And local ratings too. What is a standard class III in Norway, I would rate quite often as a class IV, for example.
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Most responses given here say that the whitewater rating system has faults but that they are willing to continue using it. That is also my opinion.

Where I differ, perhaps, is my view that it need to be modified somewhat. Let's save the suggestions for modification for another topic.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Additional point to ponder is that boating technology has evolved (Options, Ledges and Octanes) which helps in mastering particular runs more quickly. When you look at kayakers almost all are in high volume riverruns that reduce the impact of "operator error" as to reading the water and chosing a line. My $.01
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

PAC wrote:Additional point to ponder is that boating technology has evolved (Options, Ledges and Octanes) which helps in mastering particular runs more quickly. When you look at kayakers almost all are in high volume riverruns that reduce the impact of "operator error" as to reading the water and chosing a line. My $.01
That's in my opinion a dangerous evolution and you hear that voice more and more in the kayaking community as well.
True, for solid paddlers like Dooley for example, the L'Edge opens runs, or can reduce the risk of running a particular line. But that's the case for solid paddlers with lots of experience.
I don't like the attitude: Ok, I buy a big forgiving boat, and step up my game, even though my skills (paddling, self rescue, rescue) are not up to it. Because that last part is often left out.
Yes, I paddle a L'Edge, after being in a prelude for about 2 years, breaking my collarbone in the prelude, because I'm to tall and too heavy for that boat on class III. And 2 years later I'm still in my L'Edge, on class III, haven't stepped it up to class IV+ or V. And I know I'm on the conservative side here, but a forgiving boat won't save your butt all the time. Whatever boat you paddle, you should make sure your boat matches the kind of river you want to paddle, your own paddling skills and your own rescue skills. Not just rely on the boat to keep you safe!

You see exactly the same in the kayaking community. Lot's of people with limited skills/experience for what they paddle, but hey, they are in a forgiving boat. But once they get into trouble, once the boat does not forgive enough, they are often in serious trouble. And that means a risk for everyone around them too.

It's a matter of finding that right balance!
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I don't see what more forgiving designs have to do with the classification system for rapids?

Canoeists moving from a Prelude to L'Edge might start paddling some class IV runs where they were only running class IIIs before, but hopefully it wouldn't mean they start calling those class IIIs class II or the IVs IIIs!? If I get better, for whatever the reason, that shouldn't matter to the rivers!

Same for kayakers, some boats may make the learning curve easier - and may get people on more consequential water than they have the experience for, I agree with that - but I'd hope it doesn't result in downgraing rapids, but just allows newer paddlers to paddle the higher classess more quickly.

The classification system is about the water, rocks and gradient, independent of who or what is floating down it. Other than respect... like paddling the Green Narrows in a Redline might be considered a bigger deal than running it in a L'Edge (that's an impressive video of C-1s on the Green!), but that has nothing to do with what to classify the run.

Pat.