C1 knee strap placement

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: C1 knee strap placement

Post by sbroam »

That's how I'm set up - the big binding over my knees (low) and 2" webbing for upper straps with a quick release. My quick release is attached to a strap that goes out to a security bar on the deck (Velcro keeps it in place). In theory, someone else could release my straps and skirt. In practice, it is probably overkill.
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

IMO I highly reccommend a bulkhead for your knees with 1 set of straps rather than another set of thigh straps. It will help keep the cockpit form collapsing in case of a pin, adds flotation as well , and a lot easier to get in and out of your c1.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Agree with gonzo that the ratchets are terrible realease mechanisms. I don't like them for thigh straps for that reason. I hear there are some that work good but I haven't seen them.

I can't imagine getting in trouble when the strap is way down at the knee though. If the straps are low they will be no match for you in any case. IF needed, you'd have enough leverage to rip them to shreds and not even feel it.

And yeah, it's the ankle straps, and there are a lot of different shapes. If you have a ski shop around, ask to look through the scrap pile.
Larry
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

I have a slightly different suggestion for how to mount them: Get an old boat, and cut a big section out of the hull, going far enough up the sides to have the footrest bolt-holes... Now build your outfitting onto that (I have snowboard bindings attached with blind rivets, and a u-bolt with a snap shackle for my thigh straps, plus some foam knee-cups on mine)... now bolt the plate to the boat with the foot-rest bolts from the kayak you're converting.

You've now got a better supported hull (less likely to crack from a side impact), the outfitting is mobile from one shell to another with minimal effort, and no extra holes in your boat.
Larry Horne wrote:I can't imagine getting in trouble when the strap is way down at the knee though. If the straps are low they will be no match for you in any case. IF needed, you'd have enough leverage to rip them to shreds and not even feel it.
Even with them fairly high up the leg, I've escaped a set by pushing hard and blowing the ratchet mechanism to pieces (badly bruising my legs into the bargain) when the release mechanism failed to operate as intended... irritating, but also kind of comforting to know that it was possible.
ClassFive Boats wrote:IMO I highly reccommend a bulkhead for your knees with 1 set of straps rather than another set of thigh straps. It will help keep the cockpit form collapsing in case of a pin, adds flotation as well , and a lot easier to get in and out of your c1.
I used to use that as my go-to outfitting solution, but with the size of my legs* getting out of the bulkhead and then boat at a less than ideal getout** was always an issue, so I decided to switch to double straps in my creeker, I've gone through a couple of iterations of strap layouts, but all have been much better overall than a bulkhead for the intended purpose of the boat... where I want maximum control in my playboat and slalom boat I still prefer bulkhead & straps; but the ease of entry/exit for double straps is a winner for creeking.

* Which is actually fairly reasonable when compared to EZwater's for instance
** The one that made me change my mind on bulkheads requires you to climb out whilst clinging to a branch a few yards above a portage, because there are no eddies leaving that the only way to get out and clamber round it
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I did something similar with a sheet of 1/8" HDPE plastic. I'm pretty happy with the result, but I did not have the foresight to leave enough plastic for the knee straps. The problem I ran into was trying to cut down the rectangular plastic sheet into a shape that would conform to the curved hull. Since there's rocker in one direction, and the curved sides in the other direction, you can imagine it was like trying to press sheet of paper into the bottom of a bowl -- it won't sit flat without buckling. So I cut away at the plastic sheet, leaving "arms" that reach to the old foot rest holes. I can see that using part of an actual kayak hull could fit much better. Oh well, I guess there's always next time...
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Bulkhead? yeah, not a bad idea either. I'd love to nail an adjustable bulkhead - mine works OK, but only adjusts through a limited range (enough for me, but won't get small enough for others).

A "plate" (sheet of PE, boat or otherwise) - yep, that works, too. I wish I'd trimmed mine more - the boat is a bit heavy.

Take a look here, start at the 3rd one :

https://picasaweb.google.com/1038689084 ... directlink" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

How heavy is using an old boat hull for an outfitting base?
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Paddle Power wrote:How heavy is using an old boat hull for an outfitting base?
Not all that heavy, certainly much less than the kayak seat it replaced; I trimmed off most of the bits not needed to support outfitting or attach it to the boat minimising the weight gain...

It's in the region of about 1kg (2.2lb) of plastic, plus another 0.7kg (1.5lb) in fittings, bindings and foam bringing it in at a sum total of 1.7kg or 3lb11oz...

Result, my boat is much much lighter than a kayak would be, almost as resistant to deformation from the side and somewhat lighter than my previous c1 which was rammed to the eyeballs with (expensive) foam.

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Sound good as well as lighter than I expected.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

TKW-

Chopping up an old hull sounds a lot like that custom C1 outfitting that someone made and sold on here a few years back. I always thought that guy's outfitting looked really cool, but I couldn't pay what he was asking. I may give this idea a shot the next time I outfit a C1.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

That was "j not Elvis" Robbins and his etc "plate" outfitting. Cool idea, but a hard to sell to us cheap paddlers.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Paddle Power wrote:Sound good as well as lighter than I expected.
I trimmed mine back as aggressively as possible, to minimise the weight... If you used a bigger section of hull (going right back under the saddle (I use LL center rail as the basis of my.convertions, so not much need) then it would be accordingly rather heavier.

KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

J "Not Elvis" used to create outfitted inserts for converted cboats (k1 to c1) using a plastic sheet. He may not be doing that any more but here is the link to what is on this website:

Team ETC k12c1

I owe him a lot for helping me out several years ago, but DO NOT tell him I admitted that.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

sbroam wrote:That was "j not Elvis" Robbins and his etc "plate" outfitting. Cool idea, but a hard to sell to us cheap paddlers.
I dug, and I was actually thinking of Larry Horne's outfitting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7963131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess he didn't use a hull, but his outfitting bolted into the stock location like TKW is talking about.
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

Larry Horne's outfit is bad-@$$ as sh!t
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.