space between foam and thwarts

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jakke
CBoats Addict

space between foam and thwarts

Post by jakke »

Hi guys,

A technical question for the outfitters amongst you. I'm putting a new bulkhead in my L'Edge. Now, when I'm placing back my thwarts, there is about 2 mm space between the thwart and the top of the saddle. Should I add a thin layer of foam (maybe neoprene?) to fill that space, or is a bit ok?

I was also thinking of adding a vertical rod into the saddle, screwing it to the twhart, to avoid side movement of the saddle. Do or don't?

Thanks!

J.
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Re: space between foam and thwarts

Post by arhdc »

Adding a bit of foam to make it snug is probably not essential but a good idea.

As far as screwing the saddle to the thwart, not likely necessary for the front because of the thigh hooks but it will help stiffen up the back of the saddle. The same effect can also be achieved by adding foam "bridges" from the side foam to the saddle back to hold it centered.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

I used to try to fill that slight gap with extra foam, thinking it would keep the hull stiff. But over time the gap returns. I think the boat or minicell changes shape. I don't worry about it any more.
Barskekarsten
Pain Boater

Post by Barskekarsten »

I have about a one cm (1/2") between the saddle and twarts both at the front and back when tha boat is one shore. The gap tends to close when I am in and on the water. I guess I push the saddle up as I am really snug/pressfit in my saddle. I guess I just stopped caring at a point. I am going to fit a dovel at the back as you plan, sometime when I feel I can spare the time.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

I've started noticed a gap between my front thwart and bulkhead recently. I will probably insert more minicell.

Dowel in the saddle and secured through the thwart helps keep the saddle in place. This video has a few other saddle modifications that you may want to consider. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQC58YVG ... be&t=2m45s
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Some have advocated deliberately leaving a gap between the foam pedestal and a thwart so that the hull bottom can flex up a bit. They maintain that this reduces the tendency for the hull to crack beneath the pedestal, but still reduces the tendency for the boat to fold in the center if hung on a rock. Jim Michaud is one of those people, if I am not mistaken.

Personally, I have not been all that happy with a dowel rod going down into the foam pedestal from a thwart as the dowel rod over time simply cores out a bigger and bigger hole in the foam. If you want to reduce side to side wobble of the top of the pedestal, you might be happier with a pair of simple aluminum L brackets screwed into the bottom of the thwart butting each side of the top of the pedestal. Another alternative would be to glue a minicell block to the bottom of the thwart at each side of the pedestal.