so who has bought an extra favorite royalex canoe?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

so who has bought an extra favorite royalex canoe?

Post by hazardharry »

i got a like new all original mad river me in my quiver of boats waiting to be outfitted this winter. anyone else find a spare royalex canoe?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
ezwater
C Maven

Re: so who has bought an extra favorite royalex canoe?

Post by ezwater »

Not sure what you mean, but my bought-used Mad River Guide Solo needs some serious revisions in outfitting. It will have to wait in line behind my Millbrook Edsel.

You made me think about the dozen or so boats in my collection. Only one of them, the MR Guide Solo, is available for purchase today. Oh, wait, I have a Millbrook Wide Ride c-1, and Kaz would make more of them if asked.

The Mad River Explorer is one of the most successful V-bottomed MR canoes made. MR has been wavering (in catalog descriptions) about whether the Guide/Freedom Solo is V-bottomed or shallow arch. I think it's a very shallow V-bottom, and a very successful design.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I'm pretty sure what Harry is referring to is the need to buy Royalex canoes pronto before they go extinct. One of our local paddling shops is trying to assemble a group Esquif order right now. It's the end of an era. I'm looking at my collection of canoes, looking at my age. and deciding what I need to finish out my years. Gives that expiration date on all of our backsides all the more attention. And then there's the hope that maybe the canoe manufacturers might come out with a better material. Or someone will step up and save Royalex.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Gotta Nova Craft Ocoee
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Maybe I'd better lock mine to the carport pillars....... :o
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I agree with some of the post above, it is an end of an era. I don't think anyone will save royalx, 1st grader math to figure out they where losing money ( well not really losing) every time they mad a batch. I also believe the days of a long canoe are over I feel like for the next foreseeable future 9'4" will be long boat. If you have a design you love and you feel you have to have one< NOW is the time. We all bitched about rx ............ Myself I am excited think how much our sport has changed just in the last 20 years, I see the death of royalx as a blessing. This will force us as manufactures to evolve and recreate the sport to the modern era, in designs and manufacturing.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I've heard through no reliable source (but someone in Manufacturing) that Royalex will be impossible to manufacture at affordable costs in the future in the US due to changing EPA regs, but outsourcing maybe a viable option. Anybody confirm the rumors?
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

I dont think EPAregs have anything to do with the death of royalx. I think (and according to Polyone) it all comes down to money there is not enough sales to justify running three extrusion lines to make it. Other than the canoe industry there is only one other company that buys some and it is a very small amount. It made sense to make it in the 80's when the US gov was buying large quinities of it to for insulation in subs.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I bought a new Outrage hull about a month ago in anticipation. Better to be safe than sorry.
rev greenbud
c

Post by rev greenbud »

I have a dagger caption w triple saddle & mohawk xl 12. Really like them both but thinking about sale the xl for a equif for the size.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

2opnboat1 wrote:. . . If you have a design you love and you feel you have to have one, NOW is the time. . . We all bitched about rx . . . This will force us as manufactures to evolve and recreate the sport to the modern era, in designs and manufacturing.
Good perceptive comments, Richard. Yes, I have given thought to 'buying NOW' to ensure I have a certain rx hull, which I admire, in my quiver.

But, also yes, I'm looking forward to seeing the next crop of short(er) PE boats appear on the market.

I'm not sure that 'We all bitched about rx.' Those who live on Class IV steep rocky creeks may have legit complaints about rx, but let's not forget that the vast majority of river boaters (including many who are cboats regulars) are happy flubbing down Class II - III streams, and find rx to be an excellent choice for design and durability. AND lighter to carry!

Both materials have their place. I love my plastic Option, but I also love my rx Ocoee. Both see action, depending on my choice of river-du-jour.

I'm sad to see rx go. :cry:

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !