saddle location

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ELGOTTO
C Guru

saddle location

Post by ELGOTTO »

I'm outfitting a Caption for tandem and wondered if I could get some suggestions on saddle positions. I know the best way would be to put people in the boat and trim it accordingly but the people I'm setting it up for arent close by. I also think for different weights in bow and stern there must be a common location that will work well enough so I could put anybody in the boat and it would still handle ok. Thanks in advance for the help.
ezwater
C Maven

Re: saddle location

Post by ezwater »

Going with solo saddles? I think Mike Yee has outfitting that allow some fore/aft adjustment of each saddle.

So that you don't obsess about saddle placement, the Caption design is such that it is less affected by sub-optimal trim than, for example, my Mad River Synergy. I installed a triple saddle, and had to revise the saddle twice, because the Synergy (contrary to MR literature) is swedeform, and if weight is too far forward, it tracks badly. The Caption is symmetrical, I believe, more like a bottom-flattened banana. Small trim changes shouldn't affect it. Still, it's nice to be able to adjust.
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Re: saddle location

Post by ELGOTTO »

Yes. It is two solo saddles. I would prefer to place them permanently and glue to the hull. I'm not sure about the caption being symmetrical. I thought it was asymmetrical.