paddle length

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

solo_konoe
Pain Boater

paddle length

Post by solo_konoe »

Broke the T grip on my Werner Bandit paddle. I will try to fix and use as spare, but I was thinking about a new paddle anyway. A trusted source likes Galasport paddles. What paddles do you recommend? Straight blade or spooned? Some qualities I am in search of: lightweight (carbon), stiff, and durable.

I am 6'3" and used a 54" length comfortably, but I've been told that I should try a longer paddle.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I tried searching the forum, but my search terms (paddle length) yielded no results since the terms were too common.

-Kevin
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: paddle length

Post by Sir Adam »

Assuming your torso is proportional to your body (and your height isn't all leg) I would DEFINITELY try a longer paddle.

Under the "Site" section of this site is a rather ancient looking page that is yet another I should update… but the info still holds true!:

http://www.cboats.net/paddles/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Part way down is the "standard" description of paddle sizing (if there is one!).

I'm 5'8", and though I started with a 54" paddle (and still like one for my squirt boats) have found that Davey Hearn and others were right, and I am much better off with a 56" paddle.
Keep the C!
Adam
solo_konoe
Pain Boater

Post by solo_konoe »

Thanks Adam. I am mostly legs with short torso. I'll peruse the paddle sizing link.

Merry, merry!
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

This is by far the best thread I've seen on paddle length:

https://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5685" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Longer paddle gives you more reach, leverage and power. a 56" or 58" might feel goofy for a bit but once you're used to it I think you'll see the benefit.