Whithewater tripping solo canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Whithewater tripping solo canoe

Post by PAC »

Just want to point out that a longer canoe can be more challanging on solo trips when the wind picks up even with load. Did a BSA trip in a 17' Penobscot caring group gear and when the upriver winds picked up the trip got a tad bit longer.
Thankfully I was able to pick weight from others (happy done at first and which they later regreted)! Just took some re-trimming. Just an FYI to keep in mine! No one boat is the ticket for all situations.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

If you like the Rival and don't want to go bigger I'd stick with an Outrage as they're most similar. I have an Outrage that I'm keeping around as a back up for tripping with the unknown materials future. I can get a 70 L dry bag under either cage as well as a 30 L barrel stored width wise (I hate putting barrels lengthwise as there more likely to roll around). For me the Outrage is okay for tripping but I'm 220 lbs and don't pack very light (read: beer) so I start to feel it's overloaded. I prefer my Vertige for tripping. With this boat I can carry a 50/60 L width wise behind and ahead of the saddle. I don't know about you, but when I'm a 100 km from the nearest road running a loaded boat I don't take the hardest lines so I don't need to highest performance boat. In addition to being stable loaded, it's also more comfortable. I like that fact that the wider hull allows my knees to be farther apart which makes me much more comfortable. I've done 16 day trips in it and never had an issue. As already pointed out the Esquif Raven shares this characteristic. I would look to it too if I was seeking a replacement.
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

h2sk1 wrote:Can't comment on the other boats. Most people consider the Nitro unloaded a pig, but that might make it to be a good tripper once loaded?
In my Quebec travels, I've seen more Nitro's tripping than anything else.
Yves
c

Post by Yves »

I finally decided that I will “refresh” the outfitting of my Probe 12 II that I stored several years ago. It is still in good shape. I had bought a Rival for my wife and a Probe 12 II for me. Finally, I preferred my wife’s boat and since she was not using it very much, I was the one that wear it up until now. Now, the hull is becoming very soft, mostly under the knees. Is there anything that can be done about that?
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

Yeah,

Fiberglass, fiberglass, and then some more fiberglass. Nice wide strips. Inside and outside if you really want to stiffen it up.
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Yves wrote:I finally decided that I will “refresh” the outfitting of my Probe 12 II that I stored several years ago. It is still in good shape. I had bought a Rival for my wife and a Probe 12 II for me. Finally, I preferred my wife’s boat and since she was not using it very much, I was the one that wear it up until now. Now, the hull is becoming very soft, mostly under the knees. Is there anything that can be done about that?
I would start with at least 2 layers of 6 ounce per square yard S fiberglass with the first patch extending out at least 2 inches beyond any soft area. Then apply a second patch that is smaller by about 1" from each edge of the large patch, and perhaps even a third patch smaller still. Try to have the fibers of the second patch aligned on the bias (at about 45 degrees) to those of the first patch to add strength. I like G Flex epoxy for Royalex boats, although it is quite viscous at lower temperatures. Conventional epoxy has been used by many. Try to apply each subsequent patch while the epoxy from the one preceding is still "green" so as to get a good chemical bond. Then you can apply more epoxy until the weave of the fiberglass is filled, if you want it nice and smooth.

Sand to feather the edges of each patch, then wash well with dilute soapy water, rinse, dry, and wipe with isopropyl or denatured alcohol. Spray paint the repair to protect it from UV.

You can, of course, also apply interior patches, although generally the abrasive wear is going to be on the outside of the hull. Applying interior patches often requires removing and reinstalling outfitting. For interior patches, I prefer 5 ounce per square yard aramid (Kevlar or Twaron) but fiberglass will work.
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

I know this was originally a question about boats, but it occurs to me that the limiting factors here are more the size and the weight of load..
Of course, many people do canoe trips because they like the added transport capability of a canoe vs. for example, walking.
But if you reconsider your priorities and limit your load, a whole lot of options show up in regards to boat choice. But less gear and weight not only means more boats to choose from, but more fun actually running those rapids.
Personally, I think it's really cool to have a raft tag along that can bring iron dutch ovens and frozen chickens. But I'd choose having fun moving on the water over a mighty feast any time..

I also understand that that may not the choice of everyone. But if I can walk (and even sleep in a tent!) comfortably for a week carrying a 33 liter, 10kg backpack in a BC coastal rainforest and even leave some food for others on the trailhead out, I believe it must be possible to go boating with even less of a load, especially in more friendly climates that allow easy tarping.

Hope that widens your boat choices a bit :D

Cheers,
Jan
Yves
c

Post by Yves »

Looking at my old Rival, I just remembered that, other than the hull that is becoming soft, the vinyl is now peeling. This happens in many small spots on the hull. Is there something to do with that?
dwd58
Pain Boater

Post by dwd58 »

I have a Probe II and it is a very good whitewater tripper.