Lap belt vs thigh straps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

GSG
Pain Boater

Lap belt vs thigh straps

Post by GSG »

Ignoring the safety aspect, what offers better control and security in a C1: Bulkhead and lapbelt or bulkhead and thigh straps?

Do you need to have a fairly deep bulkhead with a lap belt to get proper control?
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Re: Lap belt vs thigh straps

Post by OC1er »

I've found it's the knees that provide the most control. Thigh and lap belts help keep you in the boat. I like a lap belt in the playboat. I don't think the bulkhead needs to be more than 3-4" deep for the knees. Well designed hip pads go a long way towards keeping you in the boat also.
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

There are several things at play or work here.

One is control and connection to the hull. The other is staying in the boat.

In OCs the toe blocks really help with staying in the boat but in a C1 with solid toe blocks that you can push against with your foot, I find the lap belt is what keeps you in the boat.

Knee pads and thigh straps or bulkhead help with the control. Hip pads are also very helpful in a C1 for both control as well as keeping you butt in the cockpit or boat.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nam
C Guru

Post by nam »

is it overkill to have bulkhead, thigh and lap belts all together for c1 playboating? Like the picture below in this link
http://c1freestyle.blogspot.ca/2007/06/ ... tting.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

also I find hip belt and lap belt, and thigh belt confusing. The one that goes accross your belly button is your hip belt right? That is according to the link I posted.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I use these terms:
Hip pads
Thigh Straps
Lap Belt
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I do personally prefer thigh straps over la lap belt. A set of high mounted thigh straps, with the side hull anchor behind and below the hip bone and the crotch anchor as high as possible positively focks my legs into position and there is virtually no way for my bum to slide around sideways on the saddle. With a lap belt I always felt that I was sliding around sideways in the saddle, compromising my boat contact.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau