Trash Talking

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Einar
CBoats Addict

Trash Talking

Post by Einar »

Welcome to Trash Talking (sponsored by Richard Sherman)

Anybody Trash a hull lately? I don't mean a crimp, a bow punch, a dimple or a light slice. I mean Ruined, as in- cut it up and haul it to the dump!

First ruin. A Royalite Viper 11, looked like it had smallpox by the time I finished with it. Trashed, sold it for rigging parts.

Second ruin. Esquife Detonator, sliced, delaminated, cut up, and dump shuttled within the year.

Third ruin. A Royalex Viper 11, wrapped creeking, 2 years old, dump shuttled.

Fourth ruin. ???
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
yarnellboat
C Maven

Re: Trash Talking

Post by yarnellboat »

The only canoe I ever trashed completely was a fiberglass canoe that I roped up to a skidoo for sledding across a lake! There was beer involved. Snow & ice are more abrasive than you might think.

I've wrapped and damaged others, including aluminum, but was always able to repair them enough so that I was never around for their official/final trashing.

As far as solo ww boats, my Outrage has been pretty cracked, delammed and beat up for years now, but it's amazing how long they last when you never actually paddle them :oops: . I've hung onto it as a potential learner for my wife or others. It wouldn't last long under my 225lbs in class III boulders, but it's got some life left for gentle class II. We'll definitely be it's last owners.

Pat.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I've sawed up and trashed so many canoes that I've long ago lost count. When I started getting them for free I would go through a canoe around every 13 months and that was after patching them for several months. That's what happens when you continually take Royalex canoes down steep rocky creeks. Now that I'm an old has-been and I no longer get free canoes my canoes last a lot longer. Since Royalex canoes are no longer going to be available I'm going to have to start being much more careful.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I sawed up two Gryamaxen to give the cockpit rims to Bill P to use in an old Hydra Duet.
djutzi
C Guru

Post by djutzi »

don't ever talk about Richard Sherman!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

After the Sage had a little incident with a rock and water and spiderweb cracked most of the (plastic) boat I kept it until I found another one. Once I had the "new" one I tried to give the old one a way for the saddle and outfitting. No takers, so I took the outfitting out and saved what bits I want and used a chainsaw to cut it up and away it went.

I had thought of using it as a sculpture of some sort, but that never happened.
Keep the C!
Adam
canoewhitewater
C Boater

Post by canoewhitewater »

When I was about 18 yo. I borrowed my dad's 16' fiberglass "white" fishing canoe with a buddy and paddled it down a class II river in high water. Wrapped it around a rock an TRASHED IT! Boy was he mad at me.

Another time we went to a canoe race on snow...... down a bunny slope. Waxed up the bottom of my discovery 169. Came down the hill so fast, we T boned a aluminum canoe at the bottom and folded it like a $2 suitcase. When the guy strapped it to the roof of his car it looked like a teepee. Boy was he mad at me.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

And then there was the time I roared into the parking lot at Brentwood Mall. The lot with the low-slung gateway to keep out big trucks. . . My first canoe -- hand-built, and hand finished. . . :(

Pride goeth before a fall!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Einar
CBoats Addict

Dump sizing

Post by Einar »

In my experience I have come to rely upon a Sawzall with wood blade for dump sizing. Cuts thru royalex and aluminum gunnels like butter. Handy tool.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

The list is long starting with whitesells and going through maxims and a bunch in between.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker