Training For Paddling & Common Paddling Injuries

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

magicmike
C Guru

Re: Training For Paddling & Common Paddling Injuries

Post by magicmike »

The most common padding injury around here is concussion. ...from banging our heads against the wall because of lack of rain.-M-
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Don't overuse NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.). Their mechanism of relieving pain and inflammation also interferes with the necessary role of inflammation in furthering healing. One study of rotator cuff injuries showed that the NSAID group felt better, but was healing more slowly.

NSAIDs are known to cause a small increase in risk of heart attack, stroke. This was first noticed with the COX-2 inhibitors, but then confirmed for the OTC NSAIDs. It isn't a big increase, but us old guys who have cardiovascular issues should keep NSAID use down to necessary symptomatic pain relief. Ibuprofen is not a daily vitamin. These risks pertain even though aspirin and other NSAIDs are anti-clotting. The trick seems to be that aspirin in very small doses is a good blood thinner, but in larger doses it starts to show risk factors. NSAIDs are hard on the stomach, too.

Although the FDA just said they are not willing to let Aleve advertise it, Naproxen has appeared in studies to be more "heart friendly" than other NSAIDs. It is known to be more compatible with daily low dose aspirin therapy.

One thing I've noticed is that if I have an injury that seems to have healed, but pain persists, a day or two on Aleve may "break the cycle" and help get rid of the persistent ache. But I don't keep on with the NSAID.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Update released this week by the FDA determined that naproxen is no safer than any other nsaid on the market. All drugs carry their adverse side-effects so talk to a MD (preferably in person) or a pharmacist about OTC nsaid dosing. So far, there is a lot of good recommendations with building up shoulder strength and stability. A good approach is to adapt exercises that target the shoulder complex with exercises that incorporate the body as a whole--core training is a popular catch-phrase for these types of exercises. The CNU pdf has a wealth of good information on exercises to do. Have fun with the pre-season training.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Not quite. They declined to allow Aleve to describe naproxen as more heart-friendly. If you review the studies, as I have, I think you might reconsider any preference for ibuprofen.

The reasons why NSAIDs might increase stroke or cardiovascular risk are not fully understood. One maker of a COX-2 inhibitor repeatedly points out in TV ads that OTC NSAIDs have the same label warnings as their medication. That is true, but study details show a somewhat different picture.

Basically, the entire class of medications have similar side effects and risks, and the practice by some ww paddlers of taking NSAIDs as if they were a daily vitamin will increase those risks somewhat.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Point taken on the FDA's position on naproxen (Aleve). Since all nsaids (prescription and OTC) increase vascular and gastro-intestinal risks, my preference for treating tissue inflammation is to see a sports MD and address the problem. But, that's regarding treating injured/inflamed tissue. There are a lot of spot-on replies to the OP about exercises for paddling which reduce the risk of injury, other than the occasional helmet-meets-rock injuries. Looking over the suggested exercises and links, I really like the stuff from the CNU site. Nothing new with the exercises, just thorough.

But now that I've spent the past 2 days shoveling snow and pushing cars, I may need to consider something otc. :x
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

There is also a very significant association between non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and renal failure, both acute and chronic. Although renal failure is more likely to occur in the elderly, or those with a preexisting renal condition, there have been instances of significant renal dysfunction (sometimes reversible, sometimes not) in individuals without known prior renal disease.