European CBoat Armada 2014

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Re: European CBoat Armada 2014

Post by kaz »

I won't know until 5/16 if I will be able to make this trip. The Soca sounds like a beautiful river.
How far is LJU airport to the river?
JKaz......
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

That would be about 100km, a bit more
https://www.google.be/maps/dir/Bovec,+S ... 46.0564509

Close enough to pick you up. And most of us will be there for a week or so, so half a day off might be a welcome change :lol:.
I wouldn't mind the drive for example, then I get to see something else from Slovenia but the Soca valley :D

Btw, if you come over for paddling, there are other rivers/sections that you should consider paying a visit too... .
kaz

Post by kaz »

Thanks Jakke.
Is there a more convenient airport to fly in to?
JKaz......
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

quick check for the airports: probably not, Austria and Italy are further away. Maybe someone else has more experience with flying into slovenia, I always drive there ... :D

Depends a bit on when you're planning to arrive and to leave though. Germany, Austria, Switzerland might be options if you'd arrive earlier and people pick you up on the way down, that way you might get to paddle some other rivers/sections too.
A friend of mine is flying into Munich for example, and is being picked up by other people on the way down to the Soca.
Barskekarsten
Pain Boater

Post by Barskekarsten »

I fly in to Munich this time as Jan said.
If you are flying in without a boat Klagenfurt combined with the simple commuter train to Villach is closer. Really good autobanhs down to the last mountain pass. I think Mayhogg spent an hour driving from camp to pick Dave and me up there last Soca trip.
kaz

Post by kaz »

I assume I would need to bring a tent and sleeping bag? What about meals?
JKaz......
pier
C Boater

Post by pier »

Kaz if it is good for u, if u fliyng down to venice airport i can take u and bring in Slovenia, at the time, i'don't know at which date we go in Soca, I think 29 may, but i must speak with my friends.
beereddy
C Guru

Post by beereddy »

pier wrote:Kaz if it is good for u, if u fliyng down to venice airport i can take u and bring in Slovenia, at the time, i'don't know at which date we go in Soca, I think 29 may, but i must speak with my friends.
Yeah! No Ljubljana, much better Venice or even Milano + cheap train to Udine
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

camping gear yes, but you might get a tent sorted out, or a place in a tent. Some are in an appartment/house, you might score some floorspace there too?
I'm not going to offer other peoples facilities, but those who have something to offer will react I hope.

Dinners are no problem, Due to the longer stays, people will probably have to do local shopping. There is one splendid group meal on saturday evening prepared by Flo & Martina & assistants. For the other meals, you can join a Belgian table, an Italian I suppose, a German, an English maybe. You could eat quite internationally if you talk to the right people ;). Oh, and you should definetly try the pankakes at the campsite, you might not want anything else anymore ;-).
Bread/cereals can be bought locally for the mornings, same goes for river-food. Even though most of the times there aren't real lunch brakes. The start is often latish (11am) end 15-1600. Most just snack a cereals bar or so in an eddy. Even though I try to eat something decent shortly before hitting the water.

I guess you start to run out of excuses not to join Kaz. several flight/Transportation options, food is covered, overnight stay is covered. Boat should be no problem, plenty of people bring 1+ boats and/or demo boats... .
kaz

Post by kaz »

Ha ha Jakke, you may be right. I'll know better if I can make this after I get back from Japan.
JKaz......
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Hi Kaz,

we'll get that all sorted out as Jan said. If you need anything,we will help out too. Tent, sleeping bag, no problem :-)

Flo
http://www.bushpaddler.de/bilderundtouren.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pier
C Boater

Post by pier »

For the Ecba from italy i think we are 4 paddler in tent. I come also with my family, there are other paddlers family accompanied? we advantage for a little holiday in soca and could be interesting for children meet others children from others places also though they don't speak the same language.

I think to come 28 evening or 29 in the morning, depending also if and when Kaz arrive to venice, if he come to venice. Actually he is in Japan he tell me, and when he come back home he decide for soca. If it is less expensive flight to venice I pick him and bring in Soca :lol:
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Just to repeat what I said earlier.. you'll be fine. Yeah, we'd also have a bed in our apartment (no floor space covering needed) that's not any more expensive than the camp really, and within walking distance from camp even for healthily inebriated individuals.

So yeah, I hope you didn't spend all your money in Japan, so do come, plus, if you can, bring a bottle of something that was stored in Mizunara oak for two years if you happen across some ;D

Cheers!

Jan
kaz

Post by kaz »

Hey guys. sorry to say I will not be able to attend this year. After returning from a 2 week vacation, I have many canoes to build.
Working alone is good, and bad, sometimes. I hope to attend next year.
Thank you for offering to help.
best regards,
John Kaz...
JKaz......
mahyongg
C Guru

Post by mahyongg »

Hey Kaz,

no worries - we understand. Keep in mind (and not just you, but anyone here really) that we'll be willing to help when you come over, whenever there is time and water in the rivers ;D
One day, that trip will happen, I am sure :D.

We'll see now who beats whom to visiting each other I guess ;D

Cheers,

Jan