oc boating after knee surgery...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

oc boating after knee surgery...

Post by truckeeboater »

Due to recent events it seems that there is a strong possibility of me needing ACL surgery in the next few weeks. Has anyone out there suffered thru this and lived to paddle on? I've already (kinda) come to grips with the fact that my winter is over, just wanna be sure I didn't just screw up my summer too. Thanks everyone!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
magicmike
C Guru

Re: oc boating after knee surgery...

Post by magicmike »

Sorry dude! Future" butt boater" from what I hear from most who've been there. But with today's technology, you could bounce back no problem. Good luck! -M-
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I was back in my boat (slalom C1 with a 5.5" seat height) within 3 weeks. Arthroscopic surgery is great! 8)
Bob P
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

I have yet to come back fully from my arthroscopic surgery and will probably need a second one in fact, each case is different. My C1s will probably be for sale soon after 2 years hoping I won't have to do that, but I still hope for my big boats and back at enjoying multi-days trips in another year or so do I hope.

Good luck!
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

There is LIFE after knee surgery!

After playing rugby for 12 years and undergoing 5 knee surgeries (ACL reconstruction on both, MCL on one and two arthoscopic surguries to remove all cartillage), I have been white water OC1'ing since 2000 and going strong. Just got back from ALF and before that Costa Rica running the hardest
sh!t I've ever run (Watauga and Upper Pacuare, respectuvely).

Yes, the knee aches. I get a cortisone shot about every three months. No pain, no gain....

Stick with it!

Big Al
Rand C1
C Guru

Post by Rand C1 »

I've had arthroscopic on both knees to alleviate bakers cysts and I'm good. I boated with Big Al at ALF and he paddled great. I didn't hear him complain, though he may have had pain. Good luck man,
Rand
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

thanks everyone for the positive vibes! still waiting on results of an MRI, but from what I understand from others I know who have had similar surgery is that the greatest complaint afterwards is loss of mobility/ flexibility in the joint. It sounds promising that there are some here who still paddle C1 with a really short saddle afterward. Considering I'm in an Option with a stock height saddle, it seems that with sufficient PT i should be OK. If there are any other stories (success or otherwise) please share them. Thanks again!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
Jim
C Guru

Post by Jim »

I recommend starting with a conversation with your surgeon. There are several different techniques you can use to repair a torn ACL and some of them may leave you with a bump on the front of the knee that will reduce your tolerance to kneeling.

My wife had this done about 6 years ago. The first orthopedic surgeon was a friend and she decided to go to someone who did a lot more ACL repairs. She was glad she did. After discussing canoeing the surgeon was concerned about kneeling and recommended an approach that would preserve the architecture on the front of the knee so she could kneel. She ended up with an ACL transplant (from a cadaver) rather than using tendons from within her knee to replace the ligament.

Some of the other posts referred to arthroscopic surgery, which may not involve an ACL repair. An ACL repair will probably have a lengthy recovery period, anticipate a year or so before getting comfortable in a boat (and the accompanying activities, such as carrying a boat on uneven ground).

Flexibility is probably less of a concern- AFTER it heals if you are willing to work on stretching you should have the capacity to regain flexibility.
Jim
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

Truckeeboater,

About 12 years ago, just a couple years into cboating, I tore the ACL in my left leg (too much basketball). The orthopedic surgeon in town came highly recommended from others who had had the same malady; he does all of athletes at my university who need a replacement (has plenty of business). We discussed the options for an ACL replacement: cadaver, patellar or hamstring tendon graft. The patellar graft was out because of the potential for pain while kneeling and the cadaver graft has a very small risk for disease transmission, so I went with a hamstring graft. The recovery is slow - it took a full year to get back to full strength, but the flexibility never completely returned. Still, I've done many 100 mile multiday trips in my Spanishfly, so long as a raft had my gear. Just do what the physical therapist tells you to do and don't over do it. Don't expect to get back into your boat within 2 or 3 months. I was told that the graft transforms so that at one month post surgery the graft has the strength of a piece of cooked spaghetti (scare tactic?). Not to mention you are in a brace for 6 - 8 weeks or so. I had mine replaced in early November so that by June I might be back in my boat. Worked okay, but it was tough to kneel for months after starting back in the boat.

If you are lucky and your ACL and MCL are still intact, then the recovery from a meniscus tear is much, much quicker.

By the way, are you still thinking about a May Selway trip?

Hope you are boating soon.

Marc
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Marc-

Thanks for the reply. Your words, along with most everyone else's are comforting yet realistic. Exactly what I need and would expect from our community. I've spoken with many friends here who have had ACL replacement and most recommend using your own hamstring vs your own tendon/ligament or that of someone else. I definitely fully understand the scope of my potential recovery time (i'm still thinking "worst case scenario" since I'm still unsure of the full nature of the injury) so I don't have ANY expectations of doing any boating this summer; OC, rafting, or otherwise. Definitely going to be straightforward with my surgeon as to the importance of maintaining a high level of activity (both professionally and personally) which shouldn't be tough for him to understand. It's been said that if one was to injure themselves in this way, there's no better place on Earth to do it than here in Tahoe. With so many professional snowsports athletes calling this area home, it's no wonder that our surgeons consistently rank among our country's best. Yet I still realize that the skill of the surgeon reflects only a fraction of the final outcome, and I anticipate a long and arduous recovery. So unfortunately for me, the Selway is a no go. I don't think mine will be a hard spot to fill on the permit, the wait list around here for a spot on that trip is pretty deep. Thanks again for your encouragement during this challenging time.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

A little update... after a much delayed MRI scan it is now confirmed that I have torn my ACL in my left knee. I don't have a follow-up with a doctor until Tuesday where I'm sure I'll have all my options laid out for me. If there are any more thoughts or experiences that other folks have had, please share them. Thanks again to those who have already done so. Fingers crossed!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Two months ago today I had my ACL replaced with a hamstring tendon graft. So far things are good, which is highly unexpected. To be honest, the first few weeks TOTALLY SUCKED; I don't recommend tearing your ACL if you're considering it. But nowadays I'm riding my bike on pavement (no trails yet) and doing heaps of PT and flexibility training. I've got full extension and 140 degrees of flexion in the joint. Average (non athlete) person's flexion is around 135. My non injured leg measures 155 degrees full flexion, so I've got a ways to go. Been practicing kneeling for a few minutes at a time on a spare foam pedestal in the living room, but no realistic hopes of getting into my boat any time soon. Luckily I'm not missing any epic paddling here in the driest state in the country! So, a few questions for those of you who've gone through this: how long after surgery did you feel comfortable paddling again? Are you experiencing any long-term detriments to your athletic performance (paddling or otherwise) since your surgery? Are you wearing a brace? If so, when? Thanks!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Bummer for you. I have had both my ACL's replaced, with Patellar Tendon Graft, which is a harder/longer recovery than hamstring. It also leaves a big scar, including the scar tissue and pain on the front of your knee, this was my detterent to kneeling initially. Your flexibility will come back when it is ready and if you work at that it will come back sooner, don't rush. For me I could kneel when the front of my knee didn't hurt (as bad) to kneel on. It still hurts 8 months post surgery (for the 2nd knee) but I have been kneeling since April/Early May. When the flexibility comes back you will have no problem kneeling. You will get stiff and sore, but kneeling is still an option. Have you considered a higher saddle for a short time until it is more comfortable? Kneeling isn't comfortable with good knees anyway. After my first knee surgery I did kayak for a bit just to get on the water, but certainly didn't have to stop canoeing. Stick with your pt and do it right and you will come back in better condition that before. You won't even notice the time you lost. Good luck and have a speedy recovery, sorry you had to go through the process, it does suck.
I guess to answer your specific questions, and my repair(s) is slightly different- A-about 6 months(in the canoe) 3 months on my butt. B-see above- work hard at your pt and you will see the benefits of being forced to be a gym rat. I am 8 years post surg on my first knee and it does still get sore and stiff, but maybe it would be that way anyway. Other than that I think the hard work of recovering was a blessing in disguise, but stick with being in shape, it helps. C-I wore a brace for skiing for the first season and a half for knee #1. I will wear a brace this coming ski season until I feel comfortable w/o it for the more recent knee. Never did wear a brace for paddling though, doesn't fit in the boat.
Hope this helps.

B