Adams new Magnet

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Adams new Magnet

Post by ClassFive Boats »

WoooHooo !

http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/Class ... f.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4/5 s-glass kevlar
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Re: Adams new Magnet

Post by kx250guy »

Thats a good looking C1. I paddled one years ago and it was surprisingly fast. I believe Andy Brdige originally designed
it. . Do you own the mold ?
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I tried Andy's Magnet near the TN Dagger works. It didn't seem faster than my old Phoenix, but it accelerated really well. Very easy to manage transitions from charging to turning to charging.

Oh, and Andy didn't design it. See the Magnet entry in the cboats museum. Andy had used his for creeking, and beat it pretty hard, but the Kevlar kept it together until he could patch the outside.
road_warrior64
C Boater

Post by road_warrior64 »

Great looking boat. I dig the color scheme. Do you have any plans to build an OC-1? Maybe something in kevlar?

JC
billhay4
Pain Boater

Post by billhay4 »

Paul Richey, who lived in Boise at the time, designed the Magnet. Great boat. Paul was a bit of a genius boat designer. Not sure where he is now.
I paddled the wood stripped prototype of the Magnet way back in the day. It was fast and very maneuverable. Didn't have the tendency for the bow to catch like the Blackwater I used then.
Andy Bridge got a mold at some point, but I'm not sure if he ever built any.
Bill
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Andy built a few - but the mold was destroyed after Valley went under I guess. Victor and I each contacted a few of the folks involved and got permission to re-build a mold, using an old Magnet as a plug (fittingly perhaps it turned out it was one of Andy Bridge's old expedition boats).

It's been a few years in the works, and I look forward to finally seeing it! Thanks for the help on the transport, Craig:)

Edit to add: I'm not sure why I was thinking Valley - I'm not sure when he had the mold (who he was working for / with doing composite work ), just that he had it, made a few boats (and I'm assuming sold some), and the mold was destroyed.
Keep the C!
Adam
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Dagger must have had a mold. Andy was clearly ready to make me one if I handed them the money.

I've heard that if you sneak up behind a Magnet in your Magnet, one or the other will abruptly snap around so they face bow to bow. 8)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Unless it was "found" in the past 2-3 years perhaps he was going to have you talk to Class V?

Either way it is great to have the boat back in production for those interested in it.

And yes, please do check out the page on it - not designed by Andy Bridge at all, and a really great story about some skilled fellow C-boat fanatics turned designers:)

https://www.cboats.net/c_db/list.php?ty ... ame=Magnet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

[quote][
Great looking boat. I dig the color scheme. Do you have any plans to build an OC-1? Maybe something in kevlar?

JC
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:49 pm
/quote]

Yes. We have one in the works
edg
C Guru

Post by edg »

That is an absolutely awesome looking boat. I bet it's a fantastic ride. Chapeau to all involved ...Edg
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Looks similar to my Hornet.
Bob P
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

More symmetrical than the Hornet. I haven't paddled a Hornet, only a Cascade. The sort of fishform, flattened lozenge shape of the Cascade (and the Hornet) might be a small advantage over the Magnet, at least in ferrying. If I were updating the Magnet, I would try to add more flatness to the bottom, and contrive to allow the stern to side-cut a bit more easily.

The way I looked at the Magnet, after my brief try in it, was as a tremendously optimized version of a Hahn. The soft rails underneath are a great addition. Magnet will carve much, much better. But it could use a larger flattish undersurface for dynamic ferrying.

Just my wild subjective speculation...... 8)
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Adam, if you took the mold from the one I use to have with the forest green deck and cream colored hull with the horribly rebuilt ends (that I did, not Andy), then the boat was built from a mold at Valley Mill and Andy took it with him to Dagger when he went to work there and threw it out back and never got around to paddling it much after that. It was full of compost when I got it, but not rotten except on the ends. Best C-1 I ever paddled. Thanks for breathing new breath into it.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Cheajack - that is indeed the boat! I know the plug (and mold) took quite a bit of sanding and truing up - but Victor gets all the credit for the project - all I did was send him my Magnet once we lined permission up.

BobP - come paddle some time! I have a Hornet here as well as a Magnet. They look quite a bit different in person, and paddle completely differently. Magnet has more stability (not that the Hornet isn't - it is, the Magnet is just wider), and is a little slower (more rocker, plus again more width).
Keep the C!
Adam
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Nice looking boat once the wrapping was removed. If it paddles as we las it looks you have a real winner