2014 Open Canoe Slalom Nationals & N. American Championships

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alanboc1
C Boater

2014 Open Canoe Slalom Nationals & N. American Championships

Post by Alanboc1 »

First day of Spring and 99 days until Nationals! Check out our website: 2014opencanoenationals
Rivers will be prime in Montana and Idaho just before the event and particularly in the first week of July.
Hope to see you in Montana this June!
Jim
C Guru

Re: 2014 Open Canoe Slalom Nationals & N. American Champions

Post by Jim »

Glad to hear you are planning to have the rivers prime for us. I am still waiting for the ice to melt here so I really, really need to get a paddling fix. I am looking forward to trying some new rivers.
Jim
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

I keep missing the increments of 10... 79 days until Nationals!! Still looking for that first entry form... who is going to be? My informal poll on the whitewater canoe slalom face book page indicates at least 75 racers. I have NOT heard from many regulars, so our goal of 90 racers is not out of the question. Hope anyone on the fence, especially if you have not been to Montana or Idaho, will fall on the western side and 'go west, young man!' or woman or...
More when we hit another odd number of days out!
Feel free to contact me with any questions- alanboc1athotmail.com
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

We are two months two months out, to the start of slalom racing on the Blackfoot River! First entry forms came in on Saturday. The locals are excited and things are coming together. See you in June!
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

May 2nd and just 56 days until racing begins. Another post to keep this subject on the opening page! And a big thank you to CBoats for the sponsorship! The CBoats logo has been put up on the event website- http://www.2014opencanoenationals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hmatt

Post by hmatt »

Looking forward to it. Some from team BC will be there. Anyone sticking around after for some more paddling in Montana, northern Idaho, or Kootenays?
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

Besides the locals being into showing Team BC around, I think some of the folks coming from back east will be making a vacation out of the trip and will be sticking around for awhile. All the rivers in the area will be reaching a nice open boat level at the end of June and early July. Day stretch of the Salmon, Lochsa, Flathead, North Fork of the Blackfoot, the Gallatin, and Stillwater, etc., will be near perfect then and starting to warm up (by Montana standards). The Alberton Gorge will still be a bit stout, but not too unreasonable. It is just Big Easy III at the expected flow.
Glad several of you are coming... Talk a few more into it!!
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

We are expecting 76+ racers and seem to be picking up a few more every few days. If you are even considering a trip to the Montana Nationals, come on, make your plans! It is now exactly a month from today! The Blackfoot is going to be a perfect level and all the local runs are going to be prime. The locals are planning to lead a trip over to the Lochsa on Monday June 30th. If you want something a notch down from that, the lower Selway is just down the road or, if there is interest, I will lead a trip to the day stretch of the Salmon.
Be spontaneous! Come to Montana!
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

Wanted to chime in, I see Alan hasn't posted in over a week. Under 3 weeks until the event. I am really excited and I think the water levels are going to be better than we were expecting at the beginning of the season. I hope that a number of you are thinking of attending. Of course it is a long drive from the East out to the Montana country, but well worth the trip (at least I think so, but I live here). There will be plenty of water for the other runs around MT/ ID so for those of you that have the time and/or want to check out the area this will be a good year. The Blackfoot has a few options, the Alberton Gorge on the Clark Fork should be getting to a more runnable level by then and the Lochsa, which is a classic river, should be at a more manageable canoe level. There are a few other options, if you are curious please let me know and I can help out. I would propose to those that are coming out that the Monday after Nat's would be a great day to do a run as a group. For those coming early I would be game for a run during the week of Nat's, just a thought. Also for those that are coming, and have not signed up yet the deadline for the discounted rate of $75 + additional classes is June 15. Otherwise it will be an extra $10, up to $85 + additional classes (I like to say discount instead of late fee, but lets be honest it is a late fee, so if you haven't please send in your registration and save yourself $10 and make the planning just a bit easier on the hosts). Registration forms can be found here http://2014opencanoenationals.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also the weekend before will be another event on the Blackfoot that will also have a slalom, so if you want a little extra practice check out blackfootriverchallenge.blogspot.com. Can't wait to see everyone and have a great time on the river.

Cheers
B
Alanboc1
C Boater

Post by Alanboc1 »

What Brandon said!!! With only 17 days left, I will leave it at that and give up trying to keep this thread at the top. I'm sure almost everyone has decided if they are coming or not. I will throw out one last challenge to Paddle Trails and LCCC- you folks CAN make fairly impromptu travel plans. Come on! It's an easy days drive to an awesome event. It is unlikely to be any closer than this.

See you in a few weeks!
Einar
CBoats Addict

So it is over, finished, u missed it.

Post by Einar »

Alan and Brandon, I haven't had so much fun at a canoe event in years.

Rocking good water, a great course, a real challenge & lots of fun people. Any more fun would be illegal.
You guys threw a great event- my first. I'm still buzzing.
Much appreciation to the Montana gang for all their work.
Einar- one half of Team B.C.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Jim
C Guru

Post by Jim »

Einar got it right- this was a GREAT race with lots of fun and very generous and gracious hosts. I am still on a high from it all... which is good because I have another 1,200 miles to drive to get home.

Thanks to the wonderful Montana folks and it was great seeing the crowd of great boaters that gathered on the Blackfoot!
Jim
Einar
CBoats Addict

A taste of the Nationals

Post by Einar »

A taste of the Nationals
Attachments
IMG_4095.jpg
IMG_4145.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
clolsen

Post by clolsen »

I am sorry to have missed it. Does anyone know if or where the results are posted?