canoe blue book?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Daddy-O
Pain Boater

canoe blue book?

Post by Daddy-O »

I've started looking into purchasing a boat for our family and have turned up an old 17' Grumman. The fellow is asking $475.00 USD and he said it lists for $950.00 USD. Not sure exactly where he has come up with a "list price". I thought surely someone here would know if this was valid. My hunch is that it's worth what the market will bear. It is in very nice condition. Never wrapped, really not even any small dents. Some sand scuffing + two small pinches in the keel about six inches apart. Hull shape appears to be full, and true, no oil can whatsoever. I like the vintage aspect but do not want to be scammed. Any advice welcome. Thanks...
Jason
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: canoe blue book?

Post by Sir Adam »

I suspect that may have been list when new, or a price he found online for it. I'm not aware of a "canoe blue book", and as you point out a fair price is what the market will bear:)

I've toyed with the idea of putting a rough scale up in the boats for sale section to help folks with pricing, but have been reluctant to do so as pricing does vary a bit in different parts of North America, not to mention other continents.

Having read thousands of "for sale" posts here and elsewhere I will say that in general folks ask a reasonable price for their boats... sometimes you can get a screaming deal, and other times folks are (in my mind) delusional with what they ask for a boat - but these are the 20 year old boats that folks want 2/3 or more the price of a brand new one.

So, what should you do? Look at Craigslist and other local sites you have access to for Grummans and see what they've sold for in your area. $475 doesn't seem out of line for here in the Northeast US, but $250 or $300 wouldn't either....

I've been fortunate to pick up an (older) Kevlar cruiser / race boat (18' tandem) for $500... and I would take that any day of the week vs. a Grumman...but I prefer composites for their weight and water feel, and do not mind watching out for rocks....
Keep the C!
Adam
Daddy-O
Pain Boater

Post by Daddy-O »

Thank you. I'll probably keep looking around, sounds a bit steep seeing that I am not in a hurry.
greybear
C Guru

Post by greybear »

My parents got one in GA to use on the lake. They paid 150.00 for it and it is in great shape. It is a bluegill slayer.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

One thing about aluminum canoes is that UV does not degrade them afaik.. If is in good shape or could be as good as new. The most I ever paid for a used boat was $500 usd for a millbrook in showroom condition. All the rest were under $350 even if in good shape