Canoe for the Grand Canyon

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

edicanoe
c

Re: Canoe for the Grand Canyon

Post by edicanoe »

Yes! It is a good boat and there are a few out there.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

As far as Encores being great boats, I understand they wrap really well and pop right back into shape (see T-Formex post).

I also think they're one of the few canoes offered in pink Royalex. A friend of mine has one and it's quite the striking boat. They always look to me like a solo version of the Dagger Dimension.
edicanoe
c

Post by edicanoe »

Yep, mine was PINK. The person I sold it to finished wearing it out last year. If I had not gone to lighter boats I would still have one. It was the best boat from a design standpoint I have paddled. Now the boats are going back to the heavy side. I have a friend that paddles a red Oncore and it is in very good shape.
edicanoe
c

Post by edicanoe »

I never wrapped it. But I bet it would be repairable it I did. That Pink Oncore was the boat I paddled down the Gauley th first time.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Paddled with a guy using an Encore on the Tees a few weeks ago, it did appear to have all the right characteristics to be a good boat for the canyon, and/or for someone wanting to get into the sport as it looked quite forgiving, but perfectly capable - he was happy running waterfalls in it!
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Post by valhallalongboats »

The Encore,

Man I love those boats. I've paddled thousands of miles in them, easy. It used to be my preferred guide boat. I bought one in 98 that I found in the back warehouse of a paddle shop in Redding, CA. Bright red. It had been made in 88, and had never been outfitted, never been in the water. For ten years it had sat waiting for me. That boat is long destroyed, but I keep hoping to find another one in another warehouse...not with much hope though. I still think it is one of the best-designed 'do-it-all' boats out there. I assume that somewhere, there is a brand-new Encore sitting in the back of a warehouse, or in someone's garage, maybe in a sea-kayak shop that had one delivered by accident twenty years ago...someday I'll find it. :D

-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
edicanoe
c

Post by edicanoe »

I agree! I have a friend that paddles one still.