backlund paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

riverharlot
C Boater

backlund paddle

Post by riverharlot »

I recently picked up a Backlund. The prior owner had put a metal piece on the end and I would like to remove it.
Is there a specific way to take the rivets out that won't damage the paddle?
Is there something I can use to fill the rivet holes?
sarz
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
ezwater
C Maven

Re: backlund paddle

Post by ezwater »

I have a New World which is an early Backlund. I would take it to my drill press and use a sharp drill bit at medium speed and low pressure to skim off the flange of the rivet. This can be done by hand with certain tools, but it's safe to do with a drill press if you're accustomed to using it. I might even use an electric hand drill, with care.

Once the flange is skimmed off, you can use a narrow screwdriver or similar tool to push the rivet through the paddle.

Here's the thing, though. When the paddle was made, that's how they protected the tip. If you remove the metal, should we suggest a way for you to put alternative protection on that tip?

If the minor weight difference weren't an issue, and if I found that the wood under the metal did not have the rotties, I might epoxy its surface and put the metal tip back on, filling the metal/wood gap with some low foam urethane like Gorilla Glue.

Otherwise, ask and we'll offer ideas, but none are likely to be simple.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

First of all, you are a very lucky person to score a Backlund. I would get in touch with Jim Snyder, he's very familiar with Backlund sticks and will work on them. I'd bet you can get whatever you'd like done to it plus an overall refresher to it from him. It'll be worth the couple bucks it costs and he does top notch work. You'll be happy you did it for sure. On second thought, that sounds like a big pain in the butt. Maybe you should just let me take it off your hands for maybe twice what you have in it. :lol:
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

+1 for Jim Snyder. If you're headed to armada/stonyfest you could easily make a side trip down there. You can find him at charc on fb
Joe
riverharlot
C Boater

Post by riverharlot »

Def heading to stony. I will reach out to an expert. Thanks!
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

If it is a Backlund and it has an aluminun end piece and "rivits" you need to get it re-done properly. Just for the river karama. Good to hear its getting back on the water!

Jimmy does great work and walt (polar paddle) did a lot of repair work for Keith too.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

PAC, you're inspiring me to take the metal off one end of my New World (a 206 cm kayak paddle) and see if there is an aluminum tip insert. I suspect not, as "New World" was old world, older than paddles called Backlund I thing. Great woodworking, old style blades that feel nice, but 90 degree feather that Jimstyx would not like.

By the way, on a paddle that evolved from a Clement lake stick, I made a tip by taking a piece of right angle aluminum extrusion and bending the longer, thinner part around so that it fit the end. I then epoxied and riveted it on. It was light and strong, but the edges of the aluminum were not, of course, flush with the wood, and might have caught on strange things on the bottom of the river.