canoe blue book... CAPTION

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Daddy-O
Pain Boater

canoe blue book... CAPTION

Post by Daddy-O »

Would anyone mind giving me an idea what a dagger caption in immaculate condition might fetch in today's market? Thanks!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: canoe blue book... CAPTION

Post by Sir Adam »

It depends quite a bit on your location... New England seems to have higher prices for some old open boats than the Southeast (probably more of them in the south east), and you'll be lucky to sell ANYTHING out west ;)
Keep the C!
Adam
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Sir Adam wrote: . . . you'll be lucky to sell ANYTHING out west . . .
I can't let this go by without my usual rant. Certainly the market in the west is smaller than in the east, but that doesn't mean there isn't a market.

Western boaters automatically shop on-line. We don't often buy new stuff locally because dealers and manufacturers' reps refuse to bring new boats in. We'd love to buy more boats, if we could get 'em here. Esquif -- are you listening?

As a result, there's a real scarcity of good used stuff in the west. We'd fight over a "Dagger Caption in immaculate condition" if one were to surface. If you'll ship it, I'll buy it!

The big issue is transport hassles, not a lack of market.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Einar
CBoats Addict

Out West

Post by Einar »

Out West I don't drive anywhere without checking Craigslist for "gear on the way". One odd thing is the customs, both U.S. and Canadian, frequently ask about the # of canoes on the rack(?)
Kinda feel like I'm a "mule" in the Royalex Cartel.
e

That said, a mint condition Caption could be worth $1000+, in my market, to me. 2nd hand is a pretty flexible market, dependant on speed of money, desire, season, rigging.
Actually I love the boat, $1,000 would be a good deal. To me!
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
awells
C Boater

Post by awells »

If I had an immaculate caption that was totally outfitted, I would not sell it for anything less than 1200. Somebody would eventually buy it.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Ok, perhaps I should have said SOUTHwest;) I see every ad that appears here, and I've seen lots in the west (central and south) sit there with zero response, occasional bumps, and never a notice anything has been sold. Not ALL of them mind you, but more than any other region.

Kudos to any canoe co. that is willing to ship a bunch out there- because I agree there IS a market... but lots of folks want to try before they buy. Props for you to being willing to buy before trying!
Keep the C!
Adam
Einar
CBoats Addict

Driving for .....

Post by Einar »

(warning: thread hijacker ahead)

Maybe the definition of a classic hull (10 yr+) is how far you would drive to buy it.
In my fleet-

Viper 11: classic but still in production, lots around, maybe 50 miles
Occoee: classic, hard to find, not often sold, drove 270 miles (combo trip)
Caption: classic, especially if an older in immaculate condition ???? miles
In your fleet...?
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Prices could be as low, low as $900 or as high as $1,800. It seems one just sold in Alberta for around $1,200, which is probably about a fair place to peg it.

For me, in addition to condition, a lot would depend on outfitting - considering air bags, toe blocks, saddles, thigh straps are all around $100 a pop, it adds up. Any outfitting I'd want to replace would come directly off what I'm willing to pay.

For a boat in great condition with good-to-go outfitting, I might pay $1,800, but I'd be happy to pull the trigger at $1,200.

Pat.