voyageur nylon-urethane split seam repair

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ezwater
C Maven

voyageur nylon-urethane split seam repair

Post by ezwater »

I was patching some wind-rumple leaks in a Voyageur float bag, and then when I tried to blow it up to see if the fix had worked, I discovered that the thin seam on the front underside had split open about 2".

That seam is quite thin, and I'm not sure how to repair it so that it doesn't split again on a hot day. I'm using Seamgrip for repair, which is like a thinner, more penetrating version of Aquaseal.

Anyone have success repairing a thin seam like that?
djutzi
C Guru

Re: voyageur nylon-urethane split seam repair

Post by djutzi »

I think I know what you mean. Yes one time I fixed one like that. I started by glueing the seam back together with aquaseal. The used another piece of waterproof nylon (from an old dry bag I think), and folded that over top of the seam, about an inch past either side of the opening. Glued it on with lots of aquaseal - I had to clamp the patch onto the seam, as with the fresh/wet aquaseal it wanted to slowly peel off. Left that overnight and then in the morning, aquaseal over the corners of the patch, as well.

That held as long as I owned the bag. I've since sold that one to a friend but no complaints so far so I assume its still holding.
clarion
C Guru

Post by clarion »

I use Aquaseal for the repair. There's no need to keep the Aquasealed seam as narrow as the original seam. I just make it about 1" wide. Clamp the whole length using lengths of wood on each side squeezed between clamps as needed. Or attach clamps on each side of the repaired area but outside of the repaired area. Attach cord to clamps and pull in opposite directions and fasten the cords to something. Think of the way you made cracking sounds with a leather belt as a kid. When you pull, the opening closes. Your clamps and cord goes where your hands did when cracking a belt. This method works well for a longer seam split. I don't know about seam seal though. Never used it. Sounds it might be too thin for this to work as well as Aquaseal.
It AIN'T bent.
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

If you have any material from old bags you can cut a piece much larger that the split or hole in the bag (1" extra margins all around is usually good enough). Apply a thin coat of aquaseal to the area of the patch that you want to glue down. Carefully place the patch inside the bag through the hole or split and open it up flat and then press the two sides of the split down on top of the patch. Cover the patch with saran wrap or a piece of zip lock bag and place a weight on it over night. A paint can (full of paint) or sand bag will do. Next day put a layer of aquaseal on the outside of the split. The wide margin of your patch material will keep you from gluing your bag shut. I have successfully repaired large "L" and "V" shaped tears in bags this way. If the seam split is along an edge of the bag you can lap your patch over the split when the bag is flat, but for best results glue one side down first then the next day turn the bag over and fold the patch material over to that side and glue it down.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Great ideas so far! I use Seamgrip when patching requires super penetration and adhesion to the outside nylon surface of such bags. Aquaseal is good, but Seamgrip is essentially thinner, more penetrating Aquaseal.

However, when gap filling can be an issue, such as on the smooth urethane inside of a bag, then Aquaseal is a better gap filler, and sticks on such surfaces as well as Seamgrip.

One of the more impressive applications of Seamgrip is for soaking the last inch or so of nylon or polyester thigh strap material, so that it can be puched and grommeted without being doubled over. In fact, grommeting is not really necessary, because the Seamgrip binds the strap fibers together so strongly.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I think I've succeeded with djutsi's method. I was attracted to cheajack's inside reinforcement but was nervous about managing it.

Actually I tried sealing the gap with Seamgrip alone, but air pressure pushed through in one place where the bond wasn't deep enough. So I took some patch material, made a little book cover of it, and clamped it down over the seam. Seamgrip will fill gaps as well as Aquaseal, *if* you can control it while it is in the runny stage.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

ezwater wrote:Seamgrip will fill gaps as well as Aquaseal, *if* you can control it while it is in the runny stage.
I tend to put things under the bag (or other item, spraydecks are favourite on my non c-boats) to raise it up a little around the repair area thus creating a shallow pool so the stuff (seamgrip, aquasure other PU based stuff that I can get my hands on at the time) runs to the repair area, not out of it. Not so easy on a seam or edge repair though, sometimes make a little dam with electrical tape.

Oh yes, and those frustrating mornings where you find something moved overnight and you now have a solid lump of PU glue no-where near where you wanted it.... :)
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Sort of a thread highjack but folks might be interested in checking out Fall Line Canoe / Bomber bags on Facebook. Saw them at Stoney Fest and pretty impressive but not cheap - but Looks like you get what you paid for on these. build boat specific so the fit seems really tight. FYI
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »