Tandem boating, but drier. . .

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Tandem boating, but drier. . .

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Lots of good chat lately about tandem boats -- Piranhas, Vertiges-X, Captions, Mergansers, Octane 92s, Blasts. But not much about decked tandem boats -- C-2s.

I have an old home-made C-2, built in 1970 from a local mould derived from slalom racing. Lately, I've dusted it off, and got it back on the water. FUN! And I don't have to worry about pumps or balers!

So here's my question: I know there are slalom C-2s around, but is there any C-2 on the market which is built for PLAY and FUN (rather than racing)? I'm thinking of, say, 13 - 14'; rockered like a Caption, and buoyant enough to bounce over drops like an Option.

Any bright ideas?

Thanks
Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Larry Horne
C Maven

Re: Tandem boating, but drier. . .

Post by Larry Horne »

http://www.shaggydesigns.com/C2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Larry
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Canoah Americana (Noah), but I think there are only 2 in North America.

I've heard rumors of another company (as well as Shaggy) working on a composite C2 design for recreation as well....
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

C2ing, my favorite subject, but finding consistent partners is difficult.
Shaggy designs proposed C2 looks like fun. The most available boats though are the training boats used by the slalom teams. The modern C2's are just under 14' and have atom sized centered cockpits. New they cost in the range of $2600, used maybe $800.
There is not enough demand for production in anything other than glass, so just the material cost puts these boats in the $2000 range new.
My C2 weighs 25#'s what would it weigh roto molded?
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Roy
C Guru

Post by Roy »

FWIW, Jennette and I have a Kevlar river-running C-2 which uses the Caption wetted surface. It has a high-volume deck for a depth at the stern rim of 12". It is stable, spins, and is 100% fun. Very comfortable. The boat would have come out about 6" short of current slalom length, but because we occassionally race it, we forced it to race length.

We had Dagger's permission when we used their shape for the hull.

Of course, not everyone wants to track down permission, pull a mold, and design a deck. But, still, it good to have a hobby.

Roy
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Maybe not quite you're after Rick, but I recall seeing one of these on a WA river...

http://www.easyriderkayaks.com/tsl-1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pat.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Thanks, folks, for the responses:

Larry -- yes, I've been on the Shaggy webpage many times, and note they've been working on a C-2 design. At around 8', however, it might be fun as a park'n play hull, but as a general river-runner, I'm not sure it would work for doofuses like me.

Adam -- interesting reference to the Noah. Seems to be a Czech product -- I tried e-mailing the address shown, but got an 'undeliverable' message. Don't suppose you have any info re: a North American supplier. . . ? Don't suppose Chris, at River Elf, is ready to branch out (I've suggested this to him!)

Jim -- would be grateful for references to the specific manufacturer/model of your slalom boat.

Pat -- interesting reference! Looks like a cruising hull with a deck. If so, dry! But maybe not very playful. I might get in touch with them for further specs. I guess I'm looking for something between this and the Shaggy. Too fussy, I guess.

Roy -- encouraging info -- PM on the way.

Keep the ideas coming in, Pl & Th.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

I guess C2 WWR would not be playful enough either?
Just thought I'd mention it as another example of decked C2 :)

Tandem river running in decked boats is kind of minority. For years the only WW K2 was the topo-duo, now discontinued although I think Robson started making something similar few years ago. You get K2 sprint, marathon, touring and sea kayaks but not in slalom or WWR disciplines so C2 is already, in general terms, ahead of K2!

I wonder how well a topo-duo would convert to C2?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

On the Noah Americana there are about 10 in USA - I know where 3 are and they are highly prized due to their fun factor. The company is no longer in business from what I understand with the passing of the designer / owner - Vladimir Vahna. http://www.paddlinglife.net/paddling_li ... .php?id=71" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It would be interesting if someone could track down the model for the boat.
Also heard that rumor of Shaggy working on a composite C2 design for play time and that would be kewl!
One last comment - Hydra Duet - Yes its nick name is "the Pig" but its a fun boat to paddle - particularly with newbies and youth. Very stable (32inches wide), fast (16" long) and clears an eddie like no other boat (big, fast and pointed ends). There are a number of them out there and the can be picked up relatively inexpensively. C2 time is always a good time!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

I've got a Hydra C-2 (plastic), a high volume glass/Kevlar end hole C-2 and a high volume glass end hole C-2. All three are outfitted and ready to paddle but like Jim KR mentioned, finding partners is hard to do. The last time that I paddled one of the end hole C-2s was on the Grand Canyon in 2003.
Come to think of it, except for a few practice runs it's the only time that I've paddle either one of them.

The Hydra, on the other hand, is very rugged and user friendly. In the 80s and 90s I use to do a lot of river running in one, including creeks. It was way more fun than paddling rivers in a solo canoe.

If anyone is interested I can paddle either side in the stern and only on the left in the bow. I'll be glad to dust off the cobwebs.

I live in Connecticut.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Now we're talking!

https://www.google.ca/search?q=topo+duo ... 80&bih=879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick, if you poke around the Vancouver Kayak Club, you might be find one of these!

Pat.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

yarnellboat wrote:
Now we're talking!
Thanks, Pat. Funnily enough, I took a walk through the archives, and this topic has been explored in the past, albeit notso definitively: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2441&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the topo-duo might have some potential, though, from the specs, it looks pretty narrow (around 27") for a tandem boat. Might work as long both paddlers kept their tongues in the middle of their mouths. Boaters with C-1 experience might fare better than old open boaters

Will keep the eyes open for bargains!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I have wanted to converted a Jackson Dynamic Duo and looked at it a few times. I think it would work just fine. you can get saddles from Jackson also, not sure i would go that way though.

There was a Hydra plastic c-2 in West USA for sale a while back, almost pulled the pin on it. Ibet they still have it, I will look to see if I can find the email.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

I had a Topolino (not a duo) for a long time. I tried it as a c1 jut for kicks and it was terrible. It's a very round hull with no primary stability. I think the duo is pretty similar, just a bit wider. The Jackson might be a better experiment as it seems to be a flatter hull.

How about a cut down, decked over Octane...
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

Here is a linke to Vajda's site

http://www.vajdagroup.com/gen_page.php? ... item_id=83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are the manufacturer of my C2. The exact model is nolonger listed. I like the looks of the H4 on their site.

One thing I should mention is that the weight range they list is for competative boaters. For example my boat was listed as having a maximum combined boater weight of less than 300#'s but in recreational use I find that 350 to 380 pounds was still very responsive

Here is Galasports site. They have a purpose built play C2 called the Wanted.

http://www.galasport.com/en/catalog/c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"