Blackfly Octane 91 Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

riverrunningmaniac
c

Blackfly Octane 91 Outfitting

Post by riverrunningmaniac »

I am currently waiting on delivery of a new Blackfly Octane 91, (should be another couple weeks before it is ready to be shipped). I need to figure out my best options for outfitting now, so that I can get my new boat ready to hit the river as soon as it arrives.

TOPIC 1: Flotation
I am told that 54 inch nylon Harmony airbags would be my best option for price and quality, but they seem much harder to find than the 60 or 48 inch versions unless willing to settle for vinyl. Does anyone have any input on my choices for flotation? Would 60 inch be too oversized? Is there a brand that I am overlooking? Seems like Gaia is now out of business.

TOPIC 2: Bilge system
Does anyone have suggestions for electric bilge kits for my new Octane 91? I guess I am looking for tips, hints, and best product info pertaining to bilge kits that work for any Blackfly outfitted boats.

Thanks for the help folks!!!
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Re: Blackfly Octane 91 Outfitting

Post by pblanc »

You can get 54 inch Harmony bags in vinyl here: http://www.harmonygear.com/products/971 ... Vinyl.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, they are somewhat heavier (though significantly cheaper) than the urethane nylon Harmony bags. Years ago, Voyager made 54 inch urethane nylon bags. The lightweight bags now marketed by Harmony Gear appear to me to be duplicates of the old, lightweight Voyager bags, but I have not seen the 54 inch bags made by Harmony.

I use 48 inch urethane nylon Harmony bags in my Octane 85 and they fill the ends pretty well but the Octane 91 is significantly wider in the ends and I suspect the 48 inch bags would leave a good bit of space. If you don't mind the expense, the 60 inch Harmony urethane nylon bags would probably work fine. You would not be able to fully inflate them but I suspect they would fill up the space pretty well and would still be lighter than the 54 inch vinyl Harmony bags. You could also look at the bags and bag liners made by Shawn Alexander.

I use an Atwood Tsunami 1200 pump in my Octane 85. The Tsunami 1200 seems to be the popular choice although I am sure pumps made by other makers such as Rule work fine. I use a Werker 12V DC 3.3 amp/hr sealed lead-acid battery similar to this to run it: http://www.apexbattery.com/12-volt-3-4- ... aQodjFMA5A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lithium ion or NiCad batteries are lighter but more expensive. Use an in-line fuse holder with a cylindrical 5 amp fuse. Some people use a cheap switch and plaster it with silicone sealant. I use a waterproof toggle switch with a rubber boot.

I hollowed out a space in the front of my pedestal to accommodate the pump and ran a short length of bilge pump tubing to a straight through hull fitting that goes out the off-side of my canoe just ahead of the pedestal bulkhead. In that position the pump drains the boat pretty well especially if I lean forward a bit. Putting the pump under the middle of the pedestal might allow even better drainage but then running the pump tubing might be more problematical.

I put my battery in a cheap watertight plastic box (Outdoor Gear) sold in most Walmart stores. I mount the battery box at the rear of the pedestal using a piece of PVC tubing driven laterally through the back end of the pedestal just above the rear end of the Yakima foot brace track. A length of 1 inch nylon webbing goes through the PVC pipe, and around the battery box, securing it at the floor of the hull. I ran a narrow piece of PVC pipe through the pedestal back to front just above the pump cavity to run the wires, and mounted the switch to the front face of the left side of the bulkhead where it is easy to reach.
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

I have 54 inch Mohawk bags in my Octane 91 right now. Only because I like the color and bullet proofness, but my Harmony 60 inch bags fill the hull better.-M-
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Go with tsunami for pump but if you want real bomber bags go with the new bomber bags from Shawn Alexander, he has started costum making bags for all black flys as well as others. His bags are custom to specific boats. and I just order a set with an adjustable outer shell so can swap between my octane and longer boat. Also his partner in design paddles an octane 91 primary so has given lots of feedback for best fit on that boat.

Check em out on Facebook. End of plug.

No seriously cost a little more but looking really good, custom, and the man stands behind his products.
Proud Yankee
riverrunningmaniac
c

Thanks guys!!! I really do want to go with the Bomber Bags now.... they seem like the best choice, but they are far more expensive than I was hoping, then again, everything quality always is!

I found this site for bilge kits... seems to make things very simple....

http://jtkcanoes.weebly.com/products.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have an opinion to compare the Tsunami vs the Atwood pumps.... I am guessing that the difference is insignificant.
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The Tsunami is an Atwood pump- it is their 1200
riverrunningmaniac
c

Thanks for all the help guys! I found that Bell Canoes, (no longer in business) actually still has a some airbags left in stock... They are a bit less than the harmony bags so I ordered a set of 60 inch bags from them, although I would like to eventually get a set of the bomber bags for sure!

I also ordered a bilge kit... Luckily Blackfly is happy to leave the saddle unglued so that I can customize it and properly install my bilge pump. I found it much easier to order a custom kit from the following web site instead of building my own from scratch as I did in the past...

http://jtkcanoes.weebly.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am posting a link showing a company that is making custom saddles with pumps built into them... the link was shared with me... I see it as a great resource for ideas on how to custom install my pump, but also, if any of you out there are in the market for a custom saddle, this looks like the way to go!

http://1blade.net/1blade/Canoe_Oufittin ... ddles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am just waiting for the delivery of my boat!!! Hopefully very soon!