Solo boat suggestion?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

YukonBrett
C Boater

Solo boat suggestion?

Post by YukonBrett »

Thinking of another solo boat...would love any suggestions...intermediate/advanced boater, 6'4", 215lbs, looking for a down river boat that will catch eddies on the way and surf what's available. Paddle some long remote days so looking for something that's not a total dog on paddle outs etc. and has room for a few supplies. Fine with any era boat that suits my needs. Anyone?? Thanks and surfs up.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Solo boat suggestion?

Post by KNeal »

Depending on how much you want to spend, you may want to consider a River Elf boat called the Storm Chaser:

Storm Chaser

There should be plenty large volume plastic boats like a large Burn you could convert. Also, use the site search function to find what boaters on this site have been using for overnight paddling trips.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

A Millbrook Schacho if you want an open boat
riverrunningmaniac
c

Post by riverrunningmaniac »

If your looking for a traditional boat, I have always been partial to the Mohawk Probe 12. It is a big enough boat to store a bit of stuff for long days or even an overnight... due to its size, it tracks well on flat water for a paddle out, and it also is fun for play. Its pretty much a great all around classic boat. There is one on Boatertalk for sale right now for $450!!! That is a great deal if its in good condition.

I have a friend that has an Esquif Vertige X.... this is a huge boat! It is set up with a triple saddle so it can be used solo or tandem. To be honest, there is nothing else I would want to paddle on a long trip! Paddling his boat solo is incredibly comfortable and stable. It tracks great on flat water and also runs big whitewater with ease!!!
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

How much do you anticipate carrying? If you are looking for an efficient hull with decent carrying capacity that has good maneuverability and will surf, but you don't anticipate running any sustained whitewater in it, you may not require the depth, dryness, and high degree of rocker of a full out whitewater hull.