Width and Stability (good article)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Re: Width and Stability (good article)

Post by chuck naill »

milkman wrote:When I was first starting out in solo whitewater canoeing, I liked stable canoes like the Dagger Ovation because I didn't have good balance in the boat or fast, natural counter-reactions to currents affecting the boat. As I became a more experienced paddler with good balance, I didn't need those training wheels any longer and instead wanted more responsive hulls--canoes that could respond quickly to my every tilt. Thus, based on my experiences, I think initial stability is a great thing for helping beginning canoeists feel comfortable and develop their boat balance with a fewer number of swims. Once they have that balance, boats with little primary stability, but good secondary are the next natural step. To help beginning canoeists develop boat balance and learning to use tilt, I encourage them to do lots of surfing on progressively bigger or more bucky waves.
For me the Ovation is not as stable as the Spanish Fly. I could not keep a Phantom upright, a common experience with other men.

What is stable depends on the size of the paddler. It also depend on your personal style and preference.

Back in the '80's, Blue Hole developed their Star Burst as a big water boat. Lots of products, modifications, and interests have developed since then with playing getting popular over river running. I am not sure there is a good play river running boat for single blade paddlers. Everything is a compromise. I did a lot of creeks in a 15 foot Sunburst. I wouldn't mind to have one again. I think the Dagger Prophet would work well for my size and how I prefer to paddle.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Haven't you realized that red is the problem with stability? I've got that formula around here somewhere

C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

I paddled the vintage Vladimir Vanha slalom c 1 yesterday, got a lot of looks. It is very stable, but it is yellow on top. :D
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Chuck, which one was that? Vlad designed and made several. Mostly they were well-behaved.

my Dagger Zealot is extremely stable and well-behaved, even under my avoirdupois.

It's not the width, it's not the size of the paddler, it's the boat design, and what happens when the hull starts to tip.
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

ezwater wrote:Chuck, which one was that? Vlad designed and made several. Mostly they were well-behaved.

my Dagger Zealot is extremely stable and well-behaved, even under my avoirdupois.

It's not the width, it's not the size of the paddler, it's the boat design, and what happens when the hull starts to tip.
Hey there, I posted a picture in '06, https://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Scroll down to the yellow Atlantis III.

It is a funny design. All the weight is in the bottom, the top is so thin as to make it difficult to exit. It remains in remarkable conditions as I store it inside. There are logos of Noah on one side with another with Vladimir on the other.

I wish I knew more about the boat.