Trinity River Labor Day Fest....anyone out west coming?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

valhallalongboats
C Guru

Trinity River Labor Day Fest....anyone out west coming?

Post by valhallalongboats »

Hey all,

Just a shout-out to see who else is going to be showing up at the Trinity on Labor Day weekend to celebrate the end of warm-weather paddling for the season.

-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
Carol
C Guru

Re: Trinity River Labor Day Fest....anyone out west coming?

Post by Carol »

we'll be there, and I believe POST from Bay Area will be camping out and doing day trips too

And flows should be 950 cfs out of the dam!!!!!!!
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Cool!

I'm bringing my protege and his dad, so we should have a fair number of open boaters. We're staying at the bigfoot RV campground thingy...any idea what time people plan to be at the put-in? I mean, we don't wanna have to be over associated with those dark-siders.
-Rob
Canoeing isn't a sport...its an art. Unfortunately, I am not exactly Michelangelo.
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

No, not that I'm coming, in my dreams, but I did look up Trinity River on the AW site - saw quite a few runs, none of which seemed to make sense at 950cfs... what sections do you run?

P.
valhallalongboats
C Guru

Most of the people there run either Pigeon Point (III) or Burnt Ranch Gorge (IV-V). I've run the Trinity everywhere from 400 cfs up to 2500 cfs...its always runnable.
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Hey, the Hayden to Cedar can be just as fun and challenging depending on attitude and energy. Rocky Ledge at 450 cfs from the dam turns into a class IV for a tandem as the slots are almost too tight to get the boat turned and through. Hawkins Bar is very nice, but with a class III+ take depending on berry vines, Big Bar on down to the Klamath is a beautiful almost float with at least 3 serious drops depending on flow, only problem there is access issues with the tribes.

Rob, don't forget what the saying roughly goes : One can turn a class II drop into a class IV by working the "river".

What is nice about the Trinity is that there are sections geared for a beginner up to a class IV boater.

And don't forget SF Trinity, 3 Bears, or Low Bridge!!
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

So Saturday the wind started blowing @10 am, wasn't a fun day, but supposedly Sunday and Monday were delightful. Saturday We had Hayden to ourselves, POST was on the Big Flat run, how was Pigeon Pt.? Really enjoyed the higher flows, and cfs was still up the following weekend, so back we went. No wind either :)