Introducing the Next Generation to the Single Blade

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Introducing the Next Generation to the Single Blade

Post by chuck naill »

Our grand daughters took their first open canoe lessons from our friend and local canoe instructor Juanita Guinn earlier this month.

Yesterday on the river the eldest said she was interested in a kayak and asked what boats I had. I explained they were all c-1's.

When my son was around 12, I gave him the Slasher. He became an accomplished single blade paddler never interested in a kayak. I want to do the same for the other 8 if possible. I think a single blade makes you a more accomplished "reader" and creates a more unique experience than I usually see from the "yakers".

How would you introduce the girls to the c-1? If you say the same as your son, please note that I do not live near the girls.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Re: Introducing the Next Generation to the Single Blade

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

chuck naill wrote: . . . the eldest said she was interested in a kayak and asked what boats I had. I I want to do the same (encourage single-blading) for the other 8 if possible. I think a single blade makes you a more accomplished "reader" and creates a more unique experience than I usually see from the "yakers".
A thought-provoking question, C.N. Let me dangle a gentle suggestion -- hopefully in a respectful way:

First, as a c-boater, I share your perception about single-bladers vis-a-vis yakers. Truth to tell, I rag on my butt-boating friends continually. It's part of the glue that cements our friendships.

As a parent of three grown kids, and as a teacher and counsellor in the school system, I'm going to suggest that, especially where recreational activities are concerned, it's crucial to let kids explore and make their own choices. I wonder if your eldest grand-daughter asked about kayaking for social reasons -- perhaps her friends are heading in that direction (??)

It's tempting to think we can make our kids (or grandkids) follow in our footsteps, but it's more important to celebrate their accomplishments if they choose a good path in a different direction.

And if it's a paddlesport, so much the better! But -- canoe? kayak? inflatable? SUP? It's all good. And if you end up on the same river as your kids or grandkids, it's truly golden!

BTW -- I have three grown kids. Only one has chosen to be a paddler. I love the other two just as much!

Good luck!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I focus on getting them out on the water - while I hope eventually they will choose the "correct" craft, it is more important to me they are exposed to paddling and hopefully enjoy it. The same goes for our other outdoor passions - hiking / camping, and skiing (of all varieties).

Of course, it "may" help that they can pick the "pretty" boats (my daughter likes the sparkly ones.. but she's 5...).
Keep the C!
Adam
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

Thanks guys. I am okay if they paddle a Kayak, but would prefer an open or single blade early for the reasons I mentioned.

If all goes well, I hope to accumulate some sit on tops and Aire inflatables over the Winter. I would like to get a Black Fly tandem . We have a mid '80's Blue Hole Starburst in excellent condition that we can use.

I'd like to go gradual with the c boats because of the spray skirt and tipping over concern. No use scaring someone upside down.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Sounds good - we've started on (I / easy II) whitewater in a ducky (inflatable kayak), and some good solid but small II in the shredder.

This summer I've introduced her to a fun "game" that I used to play (this is a flat water game..) - "tip the canoe". The challenge is to try and get the canoe to fill with water, WITHOUT falling out or flipping over. Teaches balance and comfort with a boat heeled over on edge. Also good swimming skills and getting used to being flipped out of a canoe:) And yes, she has a boat small enough SHE can tip it over (7' kids open flat water canoe). Thankfully it is light, as I'm the one who has to keep emptying it out....

We do quite a bit of flat water, I do look forward to getting her on WW more in a tandem (likely an AC / DC unless I pick up a more sporty tandem, which I may). It will be quite a few years before she's in a decked boat on WW (though next summer she may be comfortable enough to try the Hydra Duet... and flipping out of that (she's a real water-bug, but I don't want to scare her...). Each child is different though! Keep it fun:)
Keep the C!
Adam
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

IMG_2236.JPG
Ava has a kayak and doesn't have any interest in paddling it, she wants a canoe.

My best advice is to make single blade paddling that they want to do, they will take care of the rest.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

I have four children whom I've introduced to whitewater paddling: two sons about four years apart and twin daughters in between (at one point we had "four under four").

I think the advice given by others about getting kids comfortable in the water in whatever craft works for them is sound. How your kids/grandkids react to the experience will vary considerably depending upon their age, their abilities, and their personalities. My wife and I took our kids out in tandem open canoes beginning when they were fairly young, although living on Long Island (not exactly a whitewater mecca) this was largely on flatwater. Tandem canoe provides a good learning environment before kids are ready to try a solo experience.

When my oldest started paddling solo at age 10, I also had nothing other than c-boats to offer him. It was a little frustrating for him to paddle C-1 at first, but he soon got the hang of it. By the time that I had acquired a few kayaks as an alternative, he no longer had any interest in paddling one. However, my daughters started paddling solo in kayaks, but each also developed an interest in paddling C-1. One daughter even managed to qualify for the U.S. Junior Slalom Team in C-1W one year! However, my youngest son, although having strong basic skills, was never very comfortable paddling whitewater and always paddled kayak when paddling solo.

I agree that you need to let the kids - and their interests and abilities - guide this process. Some kids have strong natural athletic abilities and great confidence on and in the water. Others have to work harder at learning basic skills and may be more hesitant and/or fearful in whitewater. Depending upon these personal characteristics, a different craft might appropriate for each child, particularly at first.

I will also note that our family found whitewater slalom to be an excellent environment in which to introduce children to whitewater paddling and to build paddling skills in a relatively safe setting. All my kids learned how to paddle at beginner slalom races such as the Penn Cup series in PA. Typically held on either flatwater, Class I, or easy Class II water, these beginner races often have opportunities for open practice on the gates prior to the race. The opportunity to take successive practice runs, to try out different lines through the course, to watch other boaters of different skills levels try the same moves, and often to receive either formal or informal coaching from more experienced paddlers makes slalom races great learning environments. The gates provide clear "targets" for negotiating the run and errors in boat control are readily made evident by either a pole touch or, more seriously, by a missed gate. As a parent of four young children I also appreciated the constant presence of other racers on the course as back-up safety. The fact that we repeatedly ran the same short section of rapids also added to my ability to keep track of all the kids on the water. As their skills develop at beginner races, you can move up to more difficult slalom races and, of course, to river running. I found that the basic boat control skills from slalom gave them a strong foundation for running more difficult whitewater.

Whatever direction you and your grandkids choose, I'm sure that it will be richly rewarding for you all!

John