Question for the SOB's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

stroker
c

Question for the SOB's

Post by stroker »

Hello Short Open Boater's! I'm trying to research all I can about open boat options. I sorta been out of the boating scene for a few years, but I was a solid III+ kayaker then and I've been getting the bug to get back on the rivers. This time, I'm interested in OC1.

I once paddled a friends Probe 12 down a favorite class II run. I remember laughing at myself as I tried doing all the things i normally did in my kayak because it was so very different, but fun. I did fine on that trip (no swims) and I wonder if I might outgrow that boat in a short time. I think I'd rather have a shorter boat for working and playing in tighter technical water.

I'm 5'9", 180 lbs. I'll be looking for used boats. So far I'm thinking something like an L'edge, Prelude, Ocoee, Viper, Maxim, Detonator, Option, might work.

I don't want something I'll outgrow too quickly. Our local rivers are pool drop, and the pools can be long, so I'd prefer not to paddle a pig that makes the flats miserable. What are some of the boats y'all would recommend with this in mind?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Question for the SOB's

Post by PAC »

Where you located? Might be able to hook up with someone to demo out a couple models.

FYI - On the "Pig" comment most older designs are trade offs but a number of the newer versions have come along way in dealing with flats! Just like kayaks - no one boat does it all perfectly. :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
stroker
c

Post by stroker »

Arkansas. Just trying to put together a short list of boats to try if I get a chance. Used boat choices are few around here, so it may take a while.
Last edited by stroker on Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deuce
c

Post by Deuce »

Hi there. Lots of great open boaters here in Arkansas (I'm an open boater but not a great one). I'd suggest posting here too. http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com/viewforum.php?f=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; You'll get advice and offers of demos.
RodS
Pain Boater

Post by RodS »

stroker wrote:Arkansas.
Rats. I've got a well loved Ocoee if you're willing to travel to Massachusetts :D

Any locals interested? $150
stroker
c

Post by stroker »

RodS wrote:
stroker wrote:Arkansas.
Rats. I've got a well loved Ocoee if you're willing to travel to Massachusetts :D

Any locals interested? $150

:roll: just my luck! I'd be all over that if you were just a liiiiitle closer.
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

dangit, stroker, I just left there!

Seriously, there are some good open boaters there, and several boats you can try.

First, hit up the Arkansas Canoe Club message board: http://forums.arkansascanoeclub.com

Several people who would probably let you try out their boats:
Cole M. has a Spanish Fly
Bryan S. has a L'Edge Lite
Chris H. has an Octane 92
Roger H. and Steve S. have Options

Chris H. is also an instructor, and he and I taught a class specifically for short boats at last May's ACC Whitewater School.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Hope this helps,
Shep
stroker
c

Post by stroker »

Thanks Shep! I know a couple of those guys! So what would be some of your recommendations for me to try if I get the chance?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

The L'Edge and the Octane 92 are the most likely to work for you, but I think trying the Spanish Fly might be an interesting experience. It's not a perfect boat by any means, but there is a reason that it has been in production for so long! It's a lot of fun in the right kind of water.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Um, Octane 92 is tandem, Octane 91 is the solo fit in the same hull. Looked massive to me (I'm ~ 220-230 lbs), Octane 85 might be a better choice, I'm thinking about one for playing on my local WW course, my Ocoee is taking a battering on the concrete walls! Very few to try in the UK though, so I'll probably end up with a fly or a dog.
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

If it is not too far from you, I would venture up to the St Francis River in Missouri some nice weekend when it is running well. You will typically find a number of open boaters there and might be able to sample a few. And I would certainly hook up with the open boat guys from the Arkansas Canoe Club as Luke suggested.

The favored short polyethylene boats at present are the Blackfly Option, Blackfly Octane 85, and Esquif L'Edge lite. There are those who really like the Prelude but I don't think I would recommend it as a first open boat unless you had tried it a few times. At 180 lbs I think you would find the Octane 91 a bit big and cumbersome.

It has gotten to the point where boats like the Mohawk Viper 11, Probe 11, or Ocoee are now considered "long" boats, but they are great designs that have quite a following, as do the Esquif Detonator and Nitro.

You could also consider a composite boat. You might come across a Millbrook Shacho or Blink on the Saint. A Royalex whitewater boat that has a bit more speed than most is the Esquif Spark. If you get the chance, try one.