fishing from your canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Paddler
Pain Boater

fishing from your canoe

Post by Paddler »

Hi All, I've been doing some fishing from an old prespector on rivers as well as lakes and been having great success with the fishing but limited success with the catching. I've been using an anchor trolley to position the boat in the wind or current but haven't been able to determine the best way to fasten the anchor to the boat.

Currently the anchor line comes through the ring and I cleat it off to an open base cleat but I find that if I'm trying to manage my rod while I adjust the anchor it because a bit awkward while I try to work with the anchor line. Does any body have any experience with this? What works best for ease of use and simplicity of design for affixing my anchor line to the boat.

Also, if this isn't a good site for this where might I try and ask these questions?

Thanks for the help.
The line will become apparent
GSG
Pain Boater

Re: fishing from your canoe

Post by GSG »

I don't recommend an anchor for whitewater applications, they get in the way when you roll.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Assuming you're using a jam cleat for quick release. I'd think that no matter what the set up is things will get interesting in moving water with any body positioning changes while in the boat. Canoes being what they are for white water.

That said - when I boat solo (not often) on local class II and III I sometimes bring my fly rod in either an OC1 or C1. I place the rod in PCV tube with end caps and strap to boat out of the way and make sure I can roll with it.

Then as I padddle I''ll pull up on sand bars or stop at rocks in middle of river. Fish a bit out of the boat then move on.

Like you my fishing verses catching are not in sync. But its great me time and allows for stretching and enjoying the river more.

One point that never fails is that where ever I position myself it seems to be a magnet to other boaters. Not a big deal based on my success rate but funny to watch.

Good luck - Me I'd just get out of the boat to fish.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

Let me clarify, I'm doing this in flat water. Either lakes with a breeze or streams and rivers with a mild current. I'm not hove-to in a micro eddy in the middle of a multi-move class V above a 100 footer that lands in the shark tank at sea world. We're talking some high quality Olympic peninsula flat water with flat water pools and light current that at worst have a heard of Deer or Elk that sip lazily from the shore while I do my best to put my bait in front of the nose of a steel head that is not only smarter than me but also likely stronger.

Thanks for the concern about anchors in whitewater, you never know who you might run into on the internet. Just spend a minute on Boatertalk if you don't believe me.

Happy paddling.
The line will become apparent
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Gottcha....

I've used a dual anchor system on flat water with success. Keeps the canoe on anchor point but allows some swing with a breeze. Have seen some that use tri-points but that can get iffy if breeze picks up quickly!

Also have used a "sea anchor" and it works well on bigger lakes with minimal chance of snagging. Have to be aware of where you are (whats under you), anchor depth (attach a float) and length of anchor.

My $.01. Hope that's a better answer to your question.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

I have a small folding anchor I use and just typically tie it off to a thwart...depending on which way I'm casting or wanting to cast :) and wind direction. Usually get myself positioned fine this way...unless it's too windy. The canoe doesn't seem to move about much after it settles in.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Have fun out there:

http://youtu.be/SCUc3U8WVMo

:o
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
stroker
c

Post by stroker »

Check out this link http://riverbassin.com/forum/showthread ... noe+anchor

You can find all sorts of info on tricking out canoes and kayaks for fishing in the Riverbassin (above), and Riversmallies forums.
http://www.riversmallies.com/forum/forum.php

Those forums are more geared to fishing small streams and rivers ranging from whitewater to slackwater. Each site has specific forums for watercraft. Some folks use retractable dog leashes for an anchor deployment system. Most of what I've seen is connected to a thwart or some type of permanent mount. I'd personally recommend a quick release system that would allow you to detach the anchor from the boat completely as a safety precaution, regardless of the type water you normally fish. Use floating rope and you should be able to retrieve your anchor if you ever had to use the release. I especially like the drag chain anchors they show in that thread.