A bit scared....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Einar
CBoats Addict

Mirroring

Post by Einar »

Nice Jim W
A mirror image: I 've bought my first ww kayak and am passing the other way, I just wanted to do something to shake me out, a new experience. ( I did C-1 for a while)

First observation. In the same market kayaking has it's act together with good individual volunteer support/mentoring, there is lots of good for hire training, the club scene is tight with winter courses, sociability, & a good forum, and there are lots of private paddlers.

The skill level is laddered from a couple team old guys that get out and have fun in a group, to club runs, to private forum/email trips that goes for harder stuff.. Something for all levels.

All in the same town that canoeing struggles to find the above qualities. Still digesting that, have been for years.
e
Last edited by Einar on Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
magicmike
C Guru

Re: A bit scared....

Post by magicmike »

Practice, practice, practice! I still suck, and have no roll, but I get to our Whitewater park as often as possible, and paddle as much class 3 as I can, and have managed to gain a lot of confidence. I missed a chance to paddle with Eli this summer. I know that would have helped in my progression. I came from kayaking, and totally agree that a lot of the skills transfer. 20 years ago, I always looked up to the canoeists, now I just want to be a good one.-M- :D
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Around here there are about 3 new faces expressing interest in getting good at solo ww canoeing, they have their boats and are ready to go (which I see as different than someone wanting try ww canoeing, starting with basic tandem). All of these folks came forward to get on the river in Sept-Oct.

Upon further reflection, the problem here isn't just what's offered - it's when it's offered!

Around Vancouver each year, a new ww paddler has a few different opportunities to connect with various programs/courses/trips, but every one of them takes place during the same 6-week period! If you're not aware of this, or otherwise not available in June, too bad, so sad, you won't find much else until next year! That is too bad.

Should I ever get back more involved with the club schedule, I'll try to add a practice/mentoring opportunity in late August.

Pat.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Pierre LaPaddelle wrote: . . . None of this is daunting! If we want it, let's go for it! . . .
Quiet doesn't mean idle. Plans are underway for a Swiftwater Rescue course on the Island in the late-winter / early-spring. AND feelers are already out for an advanced solo clinic. Watch for further info on PaddleNet.
http://paddlenet.myfastforum.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !