Mysterious C1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

gumpy
C Maven

Mysterious C1

Post by gumpy »

Anybody here know anything about the boat at 3:00?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzg1Ojvzvc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joe
edg
C Guru

Re: Mysterious C1

Post by edg »

I do believe that's a Riot Groove...edg

https://canoemuseum.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ollection/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Most definitely a Groove...

Ian (designer) posts here sometimes.

https://www.cboats.net/c_db/list.php?ty ... ame=Groove" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep the C!
Adam
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Maybe made by murky waters now??

Love that video. Nothing like watching Scriver cartwheel a spanish fly to make you feel good about yourself.
edg
C Guru

Post by edg »

My bad-- MASSIVE Groove. How could I forget. If I ever win the lottery, I'm having MW build me another. Definitely the boat I most regret selling ...edg
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

To the best of my knowledge (and I'm sure Ian will correct me;) ) Murky made all the <composite> production Grooves. Riot toyed with the idea of a plastic groove, and a few (4? 5?) prototypes are, or were at one time, in existence. The shape is very similar, but having seen the two side by side they are different boats....
Keep the C!
Adam
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The boat in this segment is definitely a Massive Groove, designed, as mentioned, by Ian Thompson with, as far as I know, input and help by Paul Danks. Paul is also the paddler in this segment, one of the most amazing paddlers I have ever seen.
Sir Adam is, as far as I know, right, all the composite Massive boats have been built by Ed at Murky Waters. Ed still has all the molds, an Air or departure anyone ;-) ? Sir Adam is also right about the composite vs. plastic Groove. I have a plastic one, and while I have never been able to try out a composite one, never fit, but having had them side by side, they are quite different. According to what I gathered from Ian, Riot was trying to make the boat more user friendly to increase it's marketability. Ian actually still gets upset if I refer to my boat as a Groove ;-) , he says that the changes completely changed the boats character.
Even so it still isn't the easiest boat to paddle, in fact it is, next to the Ceemweaver, the only boat where the thought of running the Main Channel of the Ottawa makes me lose sleep at night... but once I catch a wave in it and the boat starts planing, then all is forgotten, the boat settles down and surfs like a dream. Until I catch an edge. Then it's the fastest flip ever, usually followed by some quality upside down down time.
still my favorite boat to surf Babyface in.
One of these days I will have to find a composite groove I fit in to try out.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

Fleenor had a plastic proto, not sure who he gave it to
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Paddled both plastic and glass versions. Both proved I sux. Glass is different and seemed to be more - but then I paddled it second so I knew more what to expect and was on a better feature for it. Wild ride! :-)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Ahem.

On here you WILL address me KNeal. Or, Mr. Kneal. :wink:

The plastic Groove was traded to Billcanoes for some mighty good beer with the understanding the boat would be made available to the canoeing community for use. In my opinion, that was a mighty tasty trade. :D

I am traveling back to pick the boat, after trading some more mighty good beer, and bring it back to Richmond by the weekend after Thanksgiving. It will continue to be made available for the canoeing community to use. It is possible I may be intercepted on the return trip before I cross the NC/VA border by one of our canoeing brethren. And if he is packing some mighty good beer, the boat will stay in Roanoke Rapids instead. 8)
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I love you, man!