t-formex

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

h2sk1
C Guru

Re: t-formex

Post by h2sk1 »

magicmike wrote: It seems to me the formula is pretty simple. .....
I know this was probably in jest, but you wouldn't be joking if you have ever tried to innovate and try something build something new. The path to developing new materials or new hulls is a long one with lots of mistakes, trial & error, and effort. We don't pay enough for our boats and our community is so small it is a wonder than anything new is happening.

Patience. Patience.

It doesn't surprise me that a trial of t-formex failed. So what. Do your contacts (read: rumor mill) say that all companies have dropped work on a Royalex replacement?? Do you think the first boat popped out of any mold instantly is a success?
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Pretty much everything I ever say is said in jest. Frankly, I figured if us pups under the porch got wind of it here in the sticks, the big dogs already knew this along time ago. Certainly had no idea it was "breaking news". As for the intricacies of the canoe business, I have no idea. I'm just a goon with a big mouth, who loves canoeing. -M- :D
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

PAC you know as much about T-formx as I do. We have made the desion to follow our hearts and desires, stepping away from the long boat market for the time being and concentrate on our passion short WW boats. I wish Esquif luck I hope it all works out for them and for the sport.
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to see the Phiend! I'll probably want one. Even if I have to buy it under an assumed name. -M- :D
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

magicmike wrote:Thanks for the updates. Can't wait to see the Phiend! I'll probably want one. Even if I have to buy it under an assumed name. -M- :D
I'm happy for you to give my address for shipping :D
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

FWIW I’ve received word from a very reliable source that the transition to T-Formex is on schedule and expected to hit the market in the spring of 2015.... So any rumors to the contrary are at this point just that... rumors.

Here's hoping we have 2 new materials to choose from next year - T-Formex and blow molded boats!!
Keep the C!
Adam
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Hey, that's great news. For whitewater canoes and recreational ones.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

founf this on a german canoe website.
Attachments
t formex.jpg
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

The same ad is in the Paddler / Rapid buyers guide that just came out. Along with the notation for a few Esquif boats that they are made of T-Formex.

I'm looking forward to seeing one of these in person!
Keep the C!
Adam
Marc Evans
C Guru

Post by Marc Evans »

There is a short piece in Paddler concerning T-Formex. Here is the online link:

https://www.rapidmedia.com/canoeing/cat ... story.html.

Definitely worth the read. You should also read the press release (there is a link that is imbedded in the Paddler piece).

Marc
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Also interesting in that Paddler issue is that Nova Craft will be using T-Formex for the Ocoee and Moisie ... so other manufacturers are picking up on it as well.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

I think that link is old news, PUBLISHED: MAY 06, 2014
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

I think we too easily get side tracked about canoe materials and lose focus as to why boats are breaking. Years ago Frankie told Jim Little that, "those boats (Dagger Ocoee) just aren't made to do that!" Shorter boats of better design have allowed great paddlers to push the limits of the sport and beater paddlers like me to do things I seldom dreamed of. When steeper and shallower creeks become the rule rather than the exception boats are going to break. Of course, when boats like the Zephyr all crack in the same spot materials and production techniques should be called into question; but when boats fail from "normal" use, then use should be called into question as a reason for failure. I sold the red L'edge before it cracked because I was afraid it would based only on the experiences of others. I have cracked two C-1 conversions and never gave it a second thought. Just welded 'em up, sold them on the cheap and replaced them. Butt boaters crack kayaks all the time, but few call out the manufacturers on line. In other gravity sports, skiing, snowboarding, surfing equipment failure is part of the norm. The problem is that development of new materials lags behind the forward and upward movement of the limits of the sport. As C Guru points out, it takes a long time to do it right.

I think it is already possible to build an indestructible canoe but the few who could carry it probably wouldn't want to paddle it anyway. What I would like to see is a material that is as easy to repair as composite but able to take more abuse.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

My old Fiberlastic Phoenix Seewun was as easy to repair as composite but near as tough as poly. There are composite constructions that meet the tough and repairable criterion. I don't know why they are not more popular.
kx250guy
Pain Boater

Post by kx250guy »

Well, I'm with magicmike, and think it should not be a big secret. What's the point, it's proprietary
Right? You would think esquif would release info comparing its superiority to royalex
And building public confidence in this wonder material. I've heard esquif approached
Several canoe mfg's to preorder tformex before it was fully developed or provide samples to see if
If its was suitable for forming. This is not good business.
But, I'm really hoping t formex is the material for whitewater canoes!