C1 Outfitting

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dave.E
C Guru

Re: C1 Outfitting

Post by Dave.E »

Larry Horne wrote: The concern about the back rest is valid. It's hard to tell from the pics, just make sure that there is no way it can hurt your back if you were pinned to the back deck with force.
I see what you mean about it potentially being a back breaking fulcrum...

If I lower the back rest by about 2" it should be better. Will try in the pool today and maybe do some re-work tomorrow.

Dave
https://vimeo.com/user32086287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paddler
Pain Boater

Post by Paddler »

My other concern with the back support's Angle stock busting through the spray deck. Maybe consider rounding the corners our putting a foam cover over it.
The line will become apparent
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Larry has tackled this and from all reports did a very nice job on the design. The big issue will be...can you make this outfitting at a cost that the C boating community is willing to pay? We are not an extravagant group :roll:
SYOTRiver (if we get any kind of a decent snowpack out here),
Bruce
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

Got to test it for two weeks in mexico.

The insert packed in a snowboard bag with three paddles and a bunch of other gear. No issues flying it whatsoever. Set up and dropped in the boat in under an hour.

I posted this video a little while back... All paddling using the insert.

https://vimeo.com/116221769" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Well done Dave.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

That looks like it was a top trip Dave. And congrats on the conversion outfitting.

What LL boat were you paddling, and how does it compare to others you've converted?
Dave.E
C Guru

Post by Dave.E »

That boat is the stomper. It's the only C1 that I've paddled so I don't have much to compare to. The only other boat I have paddled regularly is the L'edge. I can tell you how those compare?
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Sure, that would also be good to know, cause I paddle a L'Edge too. I'm yet to paddle a C1 beyond a few minutes duration, so I'm keen to know about the transition cause I'm mighty tempted to convert one.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I paddle (among other things) a Spanish Fly and a Remix - the transition back and forth is not bad at all. Note that I do have some history is smaller, less forgiving boats. A good sized creek boat wouldbe good - one rule of thumb is go up one size from what you'd pick if you were kayaking it.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Thanks sbroam.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Sbroam and others: I paddle with kayakers in either a Spark or L’Edge, depending on the run. They tend to paddle creekers but I would like to convert a river runner to a C1, cause I like the speed of the Spark. Do you think this is wise or should I convert a creeker?

The river runner that lots of people like on cboats is the Remix. I’m 160 lbs and 5’10” which is towards the lower end of the Remix 69 recommendations. But, cboats wisdom often says to choose a larger size—do you think the Remix 79 is a better choice?

By the way, the 69 is a touch wider than the Spark, so this seems OK to me.

(Apologies if I've hijacked this thread. Moderators: feel free to move this to the relevant place.)
Bruce Farrenkopf
CBoats Addict

Post by Bruce Farrenkopf »

Go wide and higher volume for C1 creeking. You won't regret it. Another option for a boat to convert would be the Pyranha Burn (large). I've got a Burn (my weight is 150 lbs) and it is the best conversion for serious water so far :D .
PatrickOC1
C Guru

Post by PatrickOC1 »

Insert looks sweet if you could fit one to a medium fluid solo id definetly place an order. I have a death trap riot disco I have converted to a c1 but i think a foam bulkhead and lap belt are a bit too dangerous for a creekboat so im back to the drawing board for the fluid.