The first of two questions. . .

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

The first of two questions. . .

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

. . . about tandem paddling:

My buddy and I recently dusted off the old C-2, and took it into the pool to try some tandem rolls.

After one false start, we got into the rhythm, and managed rolls, both on on-side flips and off-side flips. However I have to admit we are both 'righties', and this made the rolling process easy.

But common wisdom dictates that tandem partners usually paddle on opposite sides. Therefore, to set up a roll, either (1.) One paddler has to switch paddle-sides underwater, or (2.) One paddler has to use an off-side rolling technique.

So here's the two-part question:

Part (a.) Which of the above is more desirable -- one padder switches paddle-sides, or one paddler uses an off-side rolling technique?

Part (b.) How, exactly, does one do an off-side roll? I found a coupla YouTube videos showing an off-side roll, but I can't find any specific instructions on off-side rolling technique.

The best answer won't win a free all-expense-paid trip to the Turks and Caicos.

Thanks, folks!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Re: The first of two questions. . .

Post by Bob P »

The canoe off-side (cross) roll is pretty simple, if not easy to pull off.

*All done with the boat upside down:
1/ Sit upright in the boat with the paddle extended to the side in what would be a high brace, but with both the arms as low as possible.
2/ Lean to the paddle side and extend the paddle out, with the blade horizontal. You're going to push "up" with your extended lower hand.
3/ Rotate your whole body (including the paddle) from your waist, toward your offside, going as far as possible. End up with your trunk over the offside gunwale, bottom arm still stretched out, and the paddle blade flat.

You can see how all this works, duplicating the motion sitting right in your chair...
Bob P
GSG
Pain Boater

Post by GSG »

Just to clarify, you do the roll with the power face of the paddle?
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Whenever the topic of offside rolling comes up, I watch this video and cry into my beer(s).
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

GSG wrote:Just to clarify, you do the roll with the power face of the paddle?
No. You use the back face.
Bob P
Einar
CBoats Addict

my excuse...

Post by Einar »

Maybe if I lost 20 lbs, no make that 30 lbs, I could execute that awesome hip snap. Maybe.

It's the gunnels fault, they seem to get in the way of my belly.
Are there any vids of fat guys rolling?

My excuse of the week.
e
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

I think we could make this a much shorter discussion by sticking with Part A.

Just switch hands.

Or, as we saw in our slalom race this year, heck, just paddle on the same side, as a bonus the bow guy gets lots of practice on his offside stroke.

P.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

yarnellboat wrote: . . . Or, as we saw in our slalom race this year, heck, just paddle on the same side . . .
(Dammit, Pat -- that was going to be "The SECOND of two questions. . .") 8)

OKAY -- so much for suspense. Now that Pat has given away the plot, here's Question Number 2:

As he mentioned, the winners in the Men's Tandem division in the T-50 Slalom Races this year both paddled on the same side. And, yes, the Bow paddler did a lot of cross-forward strokes.

And, yes, that configuration would make rolling easier.

So -- is this a common practice? Any others out there defying current wisdom, and tandoming (tandomizing?) on the same side as their partners? I'd love to hear some stories!

(And THANKS, Bob P, for the technical info, and Einar for the philosophical insights!)

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

When I have a chance, I'll post a (dry land) video of the cross-roll. I should have remembered to do that when I did the CSX demo. :oops:

It's much easier to visualize when you're sitting in the boat.
Bob P
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

The nice thing with doing the cross roll in the tandem is you don't have to be all that good at it, as long as the other paddler has a good roll. You're just trying to "help" a little bit and/or not screw things up. My strategy has been to try the cross roll first, and if that doesn't work, then switch.
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I use an off-side roll in my squirt boats, and I really only use it in flatwater, playing around and working on moves, to be honest.
I use a high brace offside sweep-roll, this way I roll up with the power faceactive in the water ready to do moves.
I have also, tried the cross bow low brace roll in flatwater, very awkward, donèt think I could ever pull it off in WW, except for maybe in a hole with the help of the current.

In tandem, I have tried the low brace roll as well. Timing is obviously crucial. The bow paddler with the off-side rol can contribute a lot to the initiation, but has due to the contorted position very little leverage and power in the finishing stage of the roll. Switching is definitely an option. I have tried that before with success. What worked was to agree that the stern paddler count to 3, this gives the bow paddler sufficient time to sides.

Check out also 'Thrill of the Paddle' by Paul Mason and Marc Scriver, the tandem roll is covered in there with some great photos, including underwater shots, showing the paddle and body position in different stages of the various rolling techniques.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau