Solo Canoe Advice.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

YukonBrett
C Boater

Re: Solo Canoe Advice.

Post by YukonBrett »

Thanks. Anyone else have experience with a Viper, composite or Royalex? Seems to be a polarizing model....
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

I have paddled a Viper 12 for a number of years. I would say that I enjoy the speed and snappy handling, decent surfing. The downside is that it is not very dry, at least for me, weighing in at 235-240 pounds. If I go through a large hole I get filled up. Big waves, too. On bigger runs like you might find out West, I am constantly pulling over to bail. Hence, my previous inquiry into the Octane 91. The Viper is all right for Class II-III stuff though.

If you want to get a pointy-nosed speedboat, the Viper is the boat for you.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Have to admit, unless for a good reason, I hate to pull over to bail.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Can anyone wager an opinion on an Ocoee for a guy my size?
DougB
CBoats Addict

Post by DougB »

The Ocoee would be fine for your weight and may be your best bet. We had one along down the Lievre (60 km RII/RIII) this past fall with a 210 lb. paddler and about 50 lb. of gear in it. The edges take a bit of getting used to coming from an Outrage but the boat is lots of fun and fits what you're looking for.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

Dude, are you going to go ask about every boat?? At 210lbs, you can paddle almost anything.

The Ocoee is almost universally liked but you won't likely find a used one. With the cost, uncertainty of the new material and an newer designs, if you buy one new and ship all the way to the Yukon, you might be a fool.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Thanks. Yes, will likely ask about every potentially suitable boat, as there just isn't a chance to try or often even see one here....and, I'm particular on top of it... :P
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Last time I was in Whitehorse, a few years ago now, there was a Hellman Otter kicking around - you should track it down and try it. Can't recall whose it was, but I'm sure you could find it if you ask the likely suspects.

Around Vancouver there's been good deals on used composite Viper 11 and 12s. I'm heavier than you, I find the Outrage and Ocoee to be fine. The Viper 11 I thought was too wet, but I like the Viper 12. When moving from the Outrage to Ocoee, Viper 12 and Hellman Otter were the others I was looking at. Now there's the L'Edge Lite I'd consider, probably favour, too. I don't yet trust the Blackfly Option or Octane 85 are great for big guys, and I found the Octane 91 way too tankish compared to the paddling I enjoy in the Ocoee.

Good luck finding somehting, Pat.
YukonBrett
C Boater

Post by YukonBrett »

Thanks and happy new year.
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

I guess it's just me , but on a rocky road I prefer a "tank" to a Ferrari. I think of the Octane 91 as more of a "Jeep" or "Hummer" , rather than a "tank", though. If you have what it takes to muscle it around, she's a super sweet and fun ride. -M- :D
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Or maybe I'm just fat. Either way, I LOVE MY OCTANE 91!