Help ID this saddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dnatured
c

Help ID this saddle?

Post by dnatured »

Hey everyone! I've outgrown my Bell YS solo's whitewater abilities and picked up my first WW dedicated OC-1 a new naked Esquif Raven. The shop (Boreal Designs) threw in this saddle with the sweet deal I got, but no idea who made it. Also I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how to mount thigh straps in the boat due to all that extra foam up front, or should I just order some more foam and build it out into a bulkhead? Also is their an "Intros" topic on the site so that I may more formally introduce myself to y'all?

Thanks,

Dan
Attachments
saddle.jpeg
DougB
CBoats Addict

Re: Help ID this saddle?

Post by DougB »

I believe that is a saddle made by Beluga. The knee spacers are nice giving it a bulkhead feel. Some old boats were set up this way. The foam up front that matches the backrest allows thwart mounting front and back, however this isn't necessary in a royalex hull - contact cement will hold it down on its own. Straps can be set up the regular way with the anchor under your crotch. See the mike yee website
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

DougB wrote: . . . The foam up front that matches the backrest allows thwart mounting front and back, however this isn't necessary in a royalex hull - contact cement will hold it down on its own. . .
True, but FWIW, and IMHO, I'd think twice about cementing the saddle onto the hull. It's so nice to be able to pop the saddle out when you wish to tweak the outfitting, adjust the seat placement, etc.

In fact, I prefer to buy a boat 'hull only', and design my own outfitting, so that I can install a saddle without glueing it in. But some manufacturers insist in selling their boats pre-outfitted -- next boat I order 'outfitted', I will specify that I'd like the manufacturer to leave the saddle loose.

Good luck with your foamwork assignment.

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Is the hole in back between the foot pegs for a pump?-M-
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

It's for a water bottle... No pumps
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Work smart, not hard."MO' PUMPS"-M- :D
dnatured
c

Post by dnatured »

Thanks for the replies. I'm guessing I'll most likely go with straps rather than build the saddle into a bulkhead. It just seems much longer than others I see out there on the market which is why I can see potential issues with mounting the crotch anchors.

Dan