Getting the young ones out in open boats

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Getting the young ones out in open boats

Post by truckeeboater »

I'm trying to figure out how to go about getting my son a little more exposure to the world of open boating. He's been on many rafting trips (both single and multi-day, up to class IV) and has paddled my Option around a bit in flat water and in big swirly eddies. Unfortunately he's still way too small to be able to control it much at all. We've also run some class I and II with him sitting behind me and holding onto my shoulders, but as you can imagine stability is SEVERELY compromised. So, do I search out a small-ish tandem (octane92 or similar) to run around in together or a super-small-ish solo (ion, quake, fly, taureau) and outfit it for him? He's almost 6 but built like an 8 year old, super stubborn, pretty strong for his size and an excellent swimmer. He loves being on/in the water and Mom paddles too, so it would be rad for us to all be able to get out together. any advice from someone who's gone through it themselves would be appreciated. Thanks!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Re: Getting the young ones out in open boats

Post by hazardharry »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 373&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

A lot of older 11-13' boats make decent tandems and make for good cheap thrills.

(Viper12 & 6yo below)
Attachments
balcony2.jpg
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

I have a tandem VertigeX (not triple saddle) and it's great for kids in the bow seat, dry, fairly easy to handle. We run a couple of Class III local runs (Lower Yough and Stoney Creek Canyon) and lots of class II with my 6 (now 7) year old daughter in the bow. It even surfs well with my little bow girl in it.
Attachments
IMG_2236 (1).JPG
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
rab
c

Post by rab »

I also have a VertigeX that I use to paddle my kids around in. My daughter, 6, can essentially just sit there as I paddle down the rapids, and my son, 8, can paddle and do some draws so that he feels like he is taking part in controlling the boat. The only draw back is that the boat is fairly wide, so with a saddle-instead of a seat- it makes it a bit difficult, even for 8 year old, to effectively paddle.

But the kids love being in it and likely prefer to have me paddle them around anyway!

rab
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

In our family, it is not about the boat. We got our daughter hooked on paddling starting when she turned 2. I've taken her out in several of our tandem boats (open and decked slalom boats) and she does not have a preference. It is easier for her to stand in the bow of the open boat when front surfing. She ran her first rapids solo (in a kyack, however :oops: ) as an 8-year old. Next on the paddling agenda is to put her in the bow of the 18' 6" Sawyer cruiser and let her paddle up there while we cruise around the river and visit islands and rocks and swimming holes.

Whatever gives you and your son time on the water. Keep it about your time together and keep it an adventure.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

I bought a used nitro and outfitted it tandem for use with my 8 year old. We have paddled multiple days on CIII and even III+ water. It's a great way to go.
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

rcgalwa what boat is your boy in now? i thought i saw him in a shortend canoe?
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
waterfall
c

Post by waterfall »

A tandem is nice, but kids will learn paddling faster in a solo boat.
Our problem with our 6-year old daughter: there is no canoe in her size.
We do have a taureau, but a 6 year old kid cant handle it.
The splash is nice, but import to europe is very expensive.
So last year I built a SOF for her.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by waterfall on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Whoa! What is that and how did you make it? Are there plans online somewhere or can you send me some? Looks like a really cool project, though probably not very durable. Details please!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
waterfall
c

Post by waterfall »

I bought the plans in the US from geodesic airolite boats, but wouldnt do it anymore. Cant recommend this company.
There are plenty of plans and tutorials on youtube for free in the www.
Building a skin on frame boat is easy yet it is not very durable. But good enough to learn the first paddle strokes on flat water.
Attachments
image.jpg
Roger
rcgalwa
Pain Boater

Post by rcgalwa »

I have a zoom my son paddles that has been cut down 9 inches and gunwales lowered 3 inches. It's ok but we still need an affordable kids oc1 to be made by the manufacturers.
waterfall
c

Post by waterfall »

Instead of waiting for an affordable kids OC1 I started to weld an PE "Octeen 59" based on the Octane 85.
Roger
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Octane 59, how cool is that!!

What are you doing with it, shorten it I recon, pull it in? or remove a section length wise?
waterfall
c

Post by waterfall »

Its not an Octane 59, its an Octeen 59 :lol: , dont want to have problems with copyright.
No shortening :o , I ordered some 4 mm PE panels and weld them together on a mold.
Its challenging so far, but it works.
Octeen 59.jpg
Octeen 59.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 11972 times
Roger