Dry land rolling practice

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

fez
CBoats Addict

Re: Dry land rolling practice

Post by fez »

The most important part of the roll is the last, the upper part.

You can practise it very easily! Work on clean low braces meaning keep your head down. Go deeper and deeper with it until your head touches the water and you still can recover clean and easily. Work on it until it`s 100%.

If you have the body feeling for this clean low brace you just have to execute it after your setup. Then it`s a roll.

Dry land practise: not really possible in my eyes... But in any case it`s important to strengthen your core.
imagine
jakke
CBoats Addict

Post by jakke »

Ken, concerning the snorkel, you could try,but I'm afraid that it would bother you too much in your movement.
What helped me a lot more is strap myself into the boat (with airplane belt, so a pretty guaranteed release). So at least you have the time to think, and don't fall out.
The other movements you can pretty much isolate and train separately. Anyhow, you can't break down the movement into a stop-motion movement, cause you'll never get there. Consider when you're upright, do when you're upside down :).
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Riverken wrote:In case anyone was concerned that this thread would somehow die, take comfort.
Whew!
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Einar
CBoats Addict

The 'other" dry land practice

Post by Einar »

The 'Other' dry land practice.

Practice holding your breath.
I can see the reply: "practice holding your posts

Roll technique counts and practice helps, but the desire to breathe seems to be the Defeater, putting the driven need to get the head out of the water seconds ahead of the desired need to get the hull rolled over.

In viewing the many many rolling videos out there count out the length of time that a successful roll paddler spends upside down, head underwater, and then consider whether 2-3 seconds can be added to that, controlling the desire/need to breath, causing the head to raise early.
Take 3 seconds, make it 5 seconds.
(Wikipedia, the source of all I know, says that the Free Diver record is 11 minutes. Just saying)

The best thing about this is it can be dry land practiced right at home, on the couch, while you are reading this post!

If you really must insist on the 'learning by doing' then go to the pool, leave the hull on the beach, and do a couple of laps underwater. Width, not length, we are not trying out for the Seals here.
The idea is that you have some of the technique, you just need some of the head space adjusted.
(insert cheap shot here)

Einar
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder