C1 conversion: straps v. bulkhead

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pea Pod
C Guru

C1 conversion: straps v. bulkhead

Post by Pea Pod »

I picked up a LL Remix to do my first conversion. I’d like have good access to the bow area for overnight gear. So I’ve got questions about holding my knees in place.

Is it possible to install a bulkhead that’s easily removable?

Is it advisable to plastic-weld in some D-rings to install knee straps?

I’ve seen a “Team etc plate” approach that allows knees strap D-rings to be bolted in —what are the details of this plate?
Gwyn
Pain Boater

Re: C1 conversion: straps v. bulkhead

Post by Gwyn »

Hi Pea Pod,
This is more or less what I have done in my converted Mystic. Photos at;
http://shaggydesigns.com/Mystic/1.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shaggydesigns.com/Mystic/2.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shaggydesigns.com/Mystic/3.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shaggydesigns.com/Mystic/4.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I took the existing kayak seat, chopped the top off it, and built up a C1 seat on top of this. The bulkhead has a piece of yellow plastic (a bit of old hull) bent into a U-shape over the top, with a couple of plates with tapped holes for bolts welded to the inside. The bottom of the bulkhead just buts up against another piece of foam in front of it, so with the two bolts removed, the entire bulkhead comes out. I have an old paddleshaft for the bottom strap anchor, and to provide lateral stabilty for the whole thing. The top strap anchors are bolted to the kayak seat where the hip pads are. There are no extra holes in the hull, and no gluing of D-rings etc.
Gwyn
http://www.petawawaraftteam.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.mohakarafting.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.shaggydesigns.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Silent Bob
C Guru

Post by Silent Bob »

I used a similar setup in mine (also a Mystic coincidentally). I used 2 pieces of aluminum angle for a center channel, Thigh straps bolted to the angle. Then I added a 1x3 wood thwart across the front of the cockpit, roughly where Gwyn's plastic one is. The foam bulkhead is stuffed under the thwart and has a couple of slots in it to fit over the channel. The bulkhead is held in by friction, and pops out for access to the front. I've taken an exciting swim or two and haven't had a problem with it falling out.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

You can make the bulkhead out of foam. If you make it a little larger than it needs to be to 'fit', it'll be a nice, snug fit that requires no hardware. You can twist it out to get to your lunch. Add the bungee to hold your water-bottle in place. I like a bulkhead & lap-belt combo, but not everyone is comfortable with the lap-belt.

https://cboats.net/c_db/list.php?alpha= ... me=Forplay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Thanks for that info, guys. I am still hoping for details on knee straps, and/or the Team etc plate though. Anyone out there know this stuff?

So far I've pulled out all the kayak outfitting. Got some PVC downpipe (4 x 2.5") for a rail, some aluminium bar for lateral braces, heaps of foam, and snow board bindings for thigh straps. Can't wait to put it all together when I get some time.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I would use the snow board straps for your knees and get webbing/airplane buckles for your thighs. I would love to post pics of my newest setup but can't figure out how to do it without first uploading to a photo site... I'm kind of over it when it comes to registering on the web.
Is there a way to upload pics directly to here?
Larry
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

The Team ETC thing is a generic set of plans w/ templates. The templates allow you to cut slots in the plastic sheet (sold separately) to thread straps though. The slots are your anchors. Pretty neat idea. I used that set up in a Big EZ & it worked fine. You can set up your anchor points exactly where you want them & put in tie downs for other things too.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Larry Horne wrote:Is there a way to upload pics directly to here?
Look down below where you click "Submit" for your post.
Click "Browse" This will allow you to locate the photo on your computer.
Once you've found the photo that you want to add, click "Add the file". You'll see the progress bar while it uploads.
Click "Preview" to see if you're happy with your post. If you are happy, click "Submit"
Attachments
Jed.jpg
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Thanks Mike, Was that there the whole time? :oops:
DSCN0500.JPG
DSCN0500.JPG (36.19 KiB) Viewed 11731 times
DSCN0499.JPG
Attachments
DSCN0503.JPG
Larry
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Nice set-up!
Larry Horne wrote:Thanks Mike, Was that there the whole time? :oops:
The ability to add a photo directly from your computer hasn't always been there. It was added a while back to make it easier for folks to share photos. I think it's location causes folks to miss it.
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Larry, that is a thing of beauty! Not sure I'll be able to replicate such design.

Mike W, I've just learnt that Team ETC is a brand name of sorts rather than the generic approach that I had assumed. It looks like a neat approach.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Pea pod, if you did replicate I would have to send my goons to pay you a visit :wink:

Check the knee straps out. The simple looking but very strategically placed knee pads are key to this setup too. I've done these with standard run of the mill snowboard straps for years. They are as solid as a knee bulkhead, but fully, and instantly, adjustable. Like a bulkhead, they stay put, so it's not something you need to touch getting in and out of the boat. Access to the front of the boats is not blocked.
Super comfy and solid.

Have fun with that boat!
Larry
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

Larry,

Your description of the knee straps sounds very attractive, and is something I will definitely work on.

Any tips on the kneepad strategy? My plan is to velcro some minicell wedges to allow for some adjustability in lieu of your wicked setup.

Is the lateral bracing near the bow pillar in those photos screwed into the original kayak foot-rest hole?

I can't get the first photo to enlarge, so I can't see where the knee strap is anchored to the hull.

Thanks for the tips, one and all!
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

You can keep the rail from the kayak outfitting and attach the knee straps to that.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Pea Pod wrote:Larry,

Your description of the knee straps sounds very attractive, and is something I will definitely work on.

Any tips on the kneepad strategy? My plan is to velcro some minicell wedges to allow for some adjustability in lieu of your wicked setup.

Is the lateral bracing near the bow pillar in those photos screwed into the original kayak foot-rest hole?

I can't get the first photo to enlarge, so I can't see where the knee strap is anchored to the hull.

Thanks for the tips, one and all!
The outer end of the strap needs to be anchored as low as possible and 6" or so behind your knee. There is no hole in the hull there, so you can drill one or make a plate that cantilevers back and down from the existing foot brace bolts. Mine in the pic is carbon fiber, but a 2"x1/8" aluminum bar works great. If I recall, LL is the only boat that only has one foot brace bolt.. so obviously a cantilever wouldn't work. You need two bolts for the cantilever plate. Another hole filled with a bolt is not a problem.

You want your knee to be as far into the corner of the hull as it can be, but there will be a little gap there between the strap and your leg.. The knee pad has a corner that is loose and wraps up into the knee strap. This fills that gap and makes the strap wrap the leg better.

Once you figure out the best location for the wedges, they don't need to adjust (for you). I would make them solid to the rail and glue them in.

The inner end of the strap can bolt to your rail. Just sit in there and find the location that feels best, and wraps your leg the best. As you can see I like mine to be angled perpendicular to the angle of my thigh. The straps are about 5-6" up from the end of my knee, but this is all just personal preference.. all of it :wink:

Yes on the lateral bracing.
Larry