Trip to Portland

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Wodza
C Guru

Trip to Portland

Post by Wodza »

My fiance and I are sitting down to plan our honeymoon in Portland. We would love to have a day of paddling while we are there. Looking for a guide and two boats, or a tandem to borrow. Also if anyone has any suggestions for things to do while we are there please chime in. We will be there Aug 6th to 18th.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Trip to Portland

Post by Sir Adam »

Maine, Oregon, or other Portland?
Keep the C!
Adam
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Portland, Oregon.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

Wodza wrote:Portland, Oregon.
That's lucky, Portland, Dorset is not ideal for canoes, the tide race off Portland Bill is particularly notorious and sea kayakers only attempt it in very good weather conditions (mainly because if there is any swell at at Chesil cove you would get smashed to bits on the steep shingle beach).

Portland Oregon on the other hand is Milkman's back yard - just look at any of his videos in the C-videos section of the forum for some ideas :)
Some other things to do relatively nearby:
- Drive up to the viewpoint overlooking Mt St Helens (It's Washington but not too far)
- Get a kitesurf or windsurf lesson in Hood River (we didn't have time for that)
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

August is a great time to come to Portland for a honeymoon.

As for paddling, we will be having a low-water year. The snowpack is subpar this year. What will be running will be the Clackamas (class 3/3+, easier runs as well), White Salmon (class 3+), and North Santiam (class 2+/3) Rivers. I can lend you a Blast, paddles, some helmets and PFDs. I will be around during that time span and can likely get out with you, but not as a guide, just a paddling companion. And it would probably be a club weekend day trip.
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

You are lucky because Portland has an active paddling club, Lower Columbia Canoe Club, LCCC.

http://www.l-ccc.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Milkman already posted. Thanks.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wodza
C Guru

Post by Wodza »

Thanks Milkman! That sounds perfect! I don't think I would be able to leave that area without paddling at least one day. Looks way too nice.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Feel free to contact me directly: president (at) l-ccc.org as the time approaches for your Portland visit. I'll be gone the last week or so of July and maybe a few of the first days in August.