need to know? OCtane91

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

hazardharry
CBoats Addict

need to know? OCtane91

Post by hazardharry »

i am 6'4" with size 14 feet and cannot get into any blackflys. nobody around here has a 91. i am very worried that one size fits all outfitting just ant gonna work. how far apart are the thwarts? well if it don't i can always sellit off like all the other canoes in my life.
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
magicmike
C Guru

Re: need to know? OCtane91

Post by magicmike »

My buddy James is 6'3" and size 14. He was able to easily get in mine even thought he could have used alot more cut out of the thigh area. He said he had no problems with the feet. When you get it you'll see ,there is plenty of foam to carve away to get the perfect fit.-M-
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

i'm also 6'3" but a bit more on the slimmer side (175# size 11 foot) and have had no problems whatsoever in my Option. as mentioned earlier, there's plenty of foam in there that you can shave off. be mindful of what your typical paddling attire would be and shape the foam accordingly. the footpegs are super adjustable too and you can modify them if you like (I rounded about an inch off the outside corners of each) or just remove them completely from the saddle with just a screwdriver if you're not into them. I like them to be there if i need them, but also to be out of the way when i don't.
Peace Pow and Paddling!
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Truckeeboater- my buddy out weights you by at least 100 lbs., and still no problem.
Harry- I can't believe there are no Octanes up there. Thats a shame! Be ready for your buds to want to get a chance at it. They're gonna want one. I've seen a lot of your videos. In the Octane, you're gonna be able to catch all those little eddies I see everyone pass by. Big fun.-M-
truckeeboater
CBoats Addict

Post by truckeeboater »

Harry- I notice a few of your vids are on the Winnepesaukee river in NH. I'll be relocating back to NH at the beginning of the summer, if you'd like to demo my Option then I'd be happy to let you have a go at it!
Peace Pow and Paddling!
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

my new OCtane91 is somewhare on an interstate highway in a truck with a pallet sized box of PE powder. i do enjoy carving foam saddles...
Attachments
P1010168.JPG
P1010167.JPG
P1010051.JPG
dnatured
c

Post by dnatured »

An I thought I was a creative newb putting a battery in just like that last night!!! I just imagined my hand & dremel were the extension of a CNC machine cutting it out! My imagination sucks! looks great when the battery is in place though. Anywho hope you like the new boat and way to support what appears (for now) to be our last plastic boat maker! We'll need to paddle sometime I'm right up the road in Augusta.

Dan
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

You'll be a better paddler in an octane Harry
NickParker
C Guru

Post by NickParker »

Nice work Harry.
magicmike
C Guru

Post by magicmike »

Harry- I don't know if you'll be a better paddler in the Octane. I can say that the ability to basically flat spin into even the tiniest eddies with a good duffek or cross duffek, has changed my boating style. And I feel that the stability has made me a more confident boater. I have never had more fun in any boat (canoe or kayak), than I have in my Octane. I'll be on the list for a new one out of the new mold as soon as Red Is available. -M- :D
ken

Post by ken »

Hey there,

I am 6'8" 250lbs with a 38" inseam and size 15 feet. The 91 is my go to boat. The boat will float you fine, and performs like a dream. I think it really needs a bigger guy anyway to engage those edges. The initial stability is mind blowing and will give you the confidence to put yourself in... dare i say... hazardous or hairy situations :P It is the easiest open boat that I have been in to roll and is super predictable down river.

Will you fit in the stock saddle....no...but can you...absolutely! Unfortunately the foot pegs are the only adjustable aspect of a bulkhead saddle. Really there is no pleasing everyone with bulkhead saddles. Some people love the old blackly saddles and don't like the new ones and some people like the new ones and don't like the old ones. Jeremy listened to alot of folk when redesigning the saddle and tried to make it so that it would fit as wide a range of paddlers as possible. The newer saddles have alot of foam left in them meaning that most people have to carve to fit. At the sacrifice of a little more work when you get your boat, the saddle can ultimately give a better fit to more people.

I cut about an inch out of the back of the seat as well as close to 2" out of the thigh hooks in order to get my big legs in it. It took a few hours of carving and hopping in and out and then a couple followup visits with a rasp to dial it in after getting it on the river. I suggest wearing your winter layers while outfitting as I have never gotten a good fit with street clothes on.

Let me know if you have any questions!
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

thanks to all of you. i feel better after kens post. 8)