Millbrook Rayge, Shacho feedback sought

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mgs
c

Millbrook Rayge, Shacho feedback sought

Post by mgs »

Has anyone paddled both the Rayge and Shacho enough to offer some feedback on how they are similar and different? At 210 lbs and 6'2", I'm curious how each might paddle. Kaz offered that the Rayge would likely be snappier into eddies at my weight, and I found some positive feedback on the Shacho for heavier paddlers on this forum, but not much on the Rayge. I've considered the Defiant as well knowing it would handle the weight, but these more modern 11 foot boats look really fun. Use would be mostly class III river running and a slalom race or two. I'm in Idaho, so my options to try the boats are limited! Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks,
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Re: Millbrook Rayge, Shacho feedback sought

Post by Mikey B »

Dale Briggs would be good to ask...paddled both and believe loves his Rayge. I'll try and get a response from him or you can look him up on facebook under dale briggs photography.
Mikey
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Dale briggs footage on facebook
mgs
c

Post by mgs »

Thanks, I did try to send him a note through Facebook, but I may have done something wrong. The boat does look fun. I think I saw some early notes that guessed its top end paddler weight at about 190.
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

From Dale:

Written by the request of Michael Bolton (canoe designer) for a C-Boats members interest in comparing the Sacho and the Rayge both canoes made by John Kaz of MILLBROOK BOATS :
I have been river running-composite canoes since the very early 80s. Mindful that the RUMBA was one of the finest boats (with the ME a close second) that I've owned. For the intermediate paddler to More Advanced- this is a boat that will deliver and perform.

I bought the first Sacho made from Millbrook boats. Ran it as a river runner for two seasons and found it to be an extremely dry boat, fast tracking and comfortable with the outfitting by John.
Keep in mind that on all my Millbrook boats I have an additional layer up material at the waterline to beef up the strength. This cost additional money vital if you're going to be a Riverrun, as I've been for the last decades.

That being said, the RAYGE is even more appealing boat to me. It resembles many of the characteristics of the finest boat I have ever been in the Rumba (which has been discontinued). The increased rocker, the height of the chimes, and the overall lines - edge of the haul placement...gives the paddler the ability to cut up and dance on the river like very few canoes can. Mind you- it's not the RUMBA but it is a good option. A stronger performance Whitewater canoe.

In Summary, I would not recommend the RAYGE For the beginning paddler or the general class 3 cruiser. It's primary stability seems a little sensitive. THOUGH the secondary is strong and stable. Also the canoe rolls well though as you would see in some of my videos at the pool session in Winston-Salem. It takes a little bit of knowledge and technique to accomplish!

Millbrook has put on the market one of the finest design canoes in the SACHO. A fast dry-easy to control boat with both secondary and primary stability. Rolls relatively easy. Well constructed with great outfitting at an extremely reasonable price. A craft to be used for the general public and the up-and-coming to the advanced Paddler!!!!

Dale Briggs Footage
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Hopefully that helps :)

He also posted pics of the shachos and his Rayge...not sure how they'll show up
Attachments
dales.jpg
mgs
c

Post by mgs »

Wow, that is really helpful! Thanks to Dale so much for taking the time to give such a great writeup, and to Michael for helping to get my question to Dale! Lots of food for thought
mgs
c

Post by mgs »

I wanted to follow up on my original post, hoping it might be useful for someone else in the future. Having considered the feedback from a few others in the forum, I decided on a shiny new Shacho, which I'm now enjoying paddling. Echoing others' comments, the boat does run dry, is very nimble, accelerates well, fun to surf, and makes it easier to do more practice runs, not having to spend much energy carrying the boat! For my weight, the Shacho is much more stable for me than the Spark, with lots of secondary stability. I should also note that the build quality of mine is superb, but that's been said before by others. Thanks again to everyone for the input! And to Kaz, great boat!
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

You're welcome, and thanks for the kind review!
JKaz......