Octane 92

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

trauts92
c

Octane 92

Post by trauts92 »

what is the stability of the octane 92 compared to the octane 91, any try the octane 92 with 2 people in it ? how stable is it compared the 91 being solo?
magicmike
C Guru

Re: Octane 92

Post by magicmike »

Can't speak for the stability of the 92, with 2 paddlers, but I paddled some long pools all last weekend in my 91 sitting on the thwart behind the saddle. Try that with any other whitewater canoe. -M- :D
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

The 92 is stable with 2 people and full of water. I call it the giggle machine because the young men paddling it giggle just like the women do it is so much fun. I can stand and paddle class 2 Rapids in the 91.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

trauts92 wrote:what is the stability of the octane 92 compared to the octane 91, any try the octane 92 with 2 people in it ? how stable is it compared the 91 being solo?
I've only paddled it as a tandem, but I'd say it is stable with two. With two people though, the boat is noticeably deeper in the water compared to most boats, and this does mean getting caught on rocks that other people slide over. This may mean catching an edge, causing you to stall, take on water, potentially flip where others don't.

It is a WET boat with 2, even though we aren't on the heavy side - combined weight 300 or less. It is definitely still stable full of water.

A fun boat though - it remains a good purchase for us for creeking. Brutal compared to something like the Caption if you're into slalom, but that's not its purpose.
JimW
C Guru

Post by JimW »

magicmike wrote:Can't speak for the stability of the 92, with 2 paddlers, but I paddled some long pools all last weekend in my 91 sitting on the thwart behind the saddle. Try that with any other whitewater canoe. -M- :D
Um, Whitesell Piranha was OK sitting on the thwart for long periods (only fell in once doing that, on day 10), but I can't do it my Ocoee, I'm over before I can even get my backside on the thwart! For sure there are not very many WW canoes you can do it with, almost certainly nothing else short... :)
hazardharry
CBoats Addict

Post by hazardharry »

here is ben trister in a 92 doing the gorge drop on the bearcamp river n.h. with a newbie in front. https://youtu.be/Ta9tsZNfhKw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if its a flowin' i'm a goin' if its frozen i'm a dozin'
Einar
CBoats Addict

Slalom in an Octane 92

Post by Einar »

Ran a canoe slalom course in a Octane 92 just for the craziness of it. I was in the backseat, spent most of my time looking around, trying to see the gates.
We came in 2nd last, just ahead of a floating stick :lol:
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
chuck naill
CBoats Addict

Post by chuck naill »

Since I have the new design coming, hopefully in June, I am reading everyone's posts with much interest. I suspect most of my paddling partners will be between 60-120 LBS.
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

The Octane 92 is pretty darn stable with 2 people - even when full of water. Also, - you have too braces as well...

Check out this video of my gf and I running the Upper Yough - you'll see the ease of that boat. Very friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHKpXswM9UQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Post by Mikey B »

Nice video Tommy! Just what I needed for a Friday morning :D